tk421storm

Germinating seeds - Dark exponentially better?

Hey all!

I'm well on my way to a big veggie garden - and after my first batch (onions, bok choi and brussels sprouts all at once) it's time for me to start another batch.

I've got two 55 grow plug trays under lights right now, and I'd like to start filling in the empty holes with new veggies as it's time for them to start. However, I've read that seeds need the dark to germinate - how critical is this? Could I cut out cardboard/paper and lay it on top of the seeds until the germinate? Checking frequently, of course.

Love this forum. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

welcome! Glad you are enjoying the forum.

Depends on what seeds. Some seeds, tends to be smaller sized seeds, like petunias, dill, and lettuce need light to germinate. Some seeds need dark to germinate. Your seed packet should tell you. If they need dark, just spreading a small layer of dirt loosely over them is good enough, then they can still sprout easily.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

OK, I've heard this argument before. One pretty knowledgeable member of this forum prefers to start them in the dark. The theory behind this is that the darkness encourages them to sprout up and search for the light. If you have the lights on above them, this may "spoil" them, so to speak, and discourage them from sprouting out.

Now, I am by no means an expert on seed starting, most of my knowledge being theoretical. I started my seeds in a very dimly lit area. Withing two days, the tomatoes had grown to 3.5 in. long, trying to reach for whatever little light there was. When the tray was placed under the light, the seedlings that then germinated seem to be content with staying shorter.

Now, it may sound good to have the seedlings growing tall and fast, but I think that the reality of this is (someone correct me if I'm wrong) leggy plants. I feel that you want the seedlings to stay shorter so that they become stocky.

Personally, I think that the dirt covering the seed provides enough darkness for germination and that it is better to have the seedlings shorter rather than taller. Again, if I'm wrong on this, someone please point it out. If you do decide to restrict light, restrict ALL of it so that the seedlings do not have reason to strain and become leggy.

Good luck.

tk421storm

Yeah, that seems to be my (slight experience) - the onions I started with slight light shot up and out all over the place, but my bok choi started in light seems much smaller and more compact.

Right now I'm looking for keywords on the seed packet, and if they say dark I just put a tiny layer of dirt over the seed.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”