jmoore

I've got what appears to be a squash plant of some sort coming up. I couldn't get my squash to do anything last year. They would barely sprout and then promptly croak. It's kind of amazing that this thing is doing so well. It's probably 8" tall and very healthy looking (so far).

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I love volunteers. I have them all over not sure what they all are yet. a lot of them are peas I think just here and there.

I tilled up one section of my garden last year that had strawberries in it. They never did ANYTHING while I was trying to grow them. So I ripped most of them out and tilled the rest in. So go figure in the middle of my lettuce bed I have strawberries coming up. :shock:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Oh, I understand with strawberries. I killed them year in and year out.

Folks kept telling me, they are a weed, they will even grow in your compost pile, they are invasive.... Sure they are, I couldn't get one to even live for one year!

Well, that has changed, they live, they grow, and they are escaping and popping up everywhere. If this keeps up, I may one of the folks saying, "They are a weed, they grow everywhere!" Not there yet, but they sure are determined this time. This is third year.

soil
Greener Thumb

I find its easiest to identify young veggie plants from weeds is the cotyledons. for an example brassicas are easy to spot out.

the best way to learn personally is just let a plant of each go to seed, see how it actually finishes its cycle. as an added bonus from the knowledge you gained you get more seed than you will know what to do with. one plant can produce hundreds if not thousands of seeds depending on the plant your growing.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”