gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm running out of room (pics)

On the boards is onions turnips etc
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03376.jpg[/img]

Tomatoes to the left, tomatoes peppers and eggplant in the middle tomatoes in the egg carton and Brussels sprouts in the back right with Nasturtium and more tomatoes in the front right.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03378.jpg[/img]

A few tom's, basil, carrots, broccoli etc
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03379.jpg[/img]

Hey RBG you got any spare room? I still have a few more things crowding a tv table upstairs. :lol: So maybe I over did it but hey what are you going to do. :P

Oh here is a pic of my lonely tom sunning outside yesterday, it was in the upper 30's but notice the thermometer in the soil, this is what it gets to in the suntan corner.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03375.jpg[/img]

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

:eek: Yes you are!!! Nice variety of veggies you got going there!

I'm almost in the same situation as you are. Actually utilizing couple of shelves in the spare bedroom with four 24" tubes attached for the time being, then eight 48" tubes in the basement. Had to by some shelves for mechanical room to organize the place, so I know how you feel!

But - isn't it worth it??? :roll: Oh yeah!!! :flower:

Regards,
D

wolfie

Dono, when are you potting up from the jiffy pellets?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The rest of the tom's were potted up today. I'm still waiting to do the peppers and eggplants. I actually went out and bought another light today for the overflow.

wolfie

how long do you leave them in the pellets, like how many days?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It was about 14 day's YMMV. I probably could have waited a little longer on some of them. But that is how I am I use and abuse my plants if they don't perform I start new ones. Normally you would wait for the true leaves to appear which I did, some where bigger than others I just had to get them potted up If they make it great if not I will start again. Heck some people say direct seeding is better than having old plants. Though in my situation it is cold in my basement and they are not Speed Racer that is for sure. So I'm think I'm on track.

wolfie

hmmmm I potted up my cukes and squash ( I know I started em way early!) after like 4 days from germination cuz they were getting so big, and they seem to be ok... but I'm like you.. I got a ton of seeds so if they don't make it, start over LOL

However, my broccoli sprouted thursday, and I want to pot up... but it's only been a few days LOL

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

My cukes got really big over night but I really think they are better direct seeded or at least started later than I did. But it's one big experiment here. I will probably plant seed with a lot of my transplants to see what does better.

I hear over and over of people seeding with transplants and the seeding doing as good or better than transplants. The thing is form what I understand is that you don't want a root bound plan for sure, but really you want to plant a transplant at the right time when it's roots are doing the most growth and that would be early rather than late. I know I have been one of those that picked out the BIGGEST plant at the nursery. But that might not be the right thing to do. Because you want the plant to root straight down with a good taproot in a pot that taproot will circle around in the pot and not go deep where the moisture is on a hot day. I hope I am explaining this right. If not I'm sure someone will right me.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”