nes
Green Thumb

Tobacco Mosaic Virus

I know the real answer is I should make him stop smoking!!

Can pepper seedlings be harmed by being enclosed in a porch where my husband smokes?

I've got my seedlings in the basement right now, but I can't get it warm enough down there anything is going to be able to germinate until the weather gets warm again :(. (was nice last week, then the last 2 days - FREEZING!!!). My tomatoes are on my bathroom floor... I think hubby is signing the commitment papers this week ;).

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

The answer is yes, and no. It is not transmitted by smoke.
It is transmitted by touch. You can get TMV on your hands from smoking, the recommendation is: Don't smoke while handling nightshade.

I smoke, and I grow tomatoes, peppers and tobacco all together.

I know, you should wash your hands, but, I have never had an issue with it.

You can use milk, it is highly effective against TMV, I use it routinely, perhaps that is why... I have no problem.

nes
Green Thumb

Thanks Ozark :)!

applestar
Mod

nes, to hubby: "... and DON'T touch the peppers while you're out there. Well, if you knock them off the table, you can try to catch them, but if they're already on the floor, don't bother to clean up the mess and get away with it! *I*ll take care of it. (Huff!) Oh! and DON'T touch the tomatoes on the floor while you're in the bathroom!" :lol: :wink:

nes
Green Thumb

Nope, that's pretty much what I said to him ;).

He's also been complaining about the NUMBER of seedlings in the basement (aka his work room). I keep lieing and telling him, "oh 2 or 3 more might do it" (2 or 3 or 6 more types of vegetables that is... :twisted:)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”