FreyOrganics

Zone 6! What have you started?

Getting super itchy for the spring since this is my first year starting from ALL seed.

Planned for the garden this year are:

Lettuce
-Muslcun
-Grand Rapids
-Loose leaf mixture (burpee)
-Lolla Rossa
Broccoli
-De Cicco
Watermelon
-Sugar Baby
Peppers
-Cardinal Hybrid Sweet
Cucumber
-Cross Country Hybrid
Tomato
-Big Boy
-Jubilee
Corn
-Jackpot Hybrid
Peas
-Little Marvel
-Snowbird
Beans
-Kentucky Wonder
Carrot
-Long Imperator
Pumpkins
-Jack of all Trades

Its a long list :lol: !! So far I have all 4 types of lettuce started and will be starting Brocolli today sometime hopefully! What does everyone else have started in zone 6?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I am zone 6b.
I have tiny broccoli, cabbage, brussels, and cauliflower, just peeking out. And I have tomatoes, and peppers just put in to begin germinating.
The herbs and flowers are waiting their turn in the plastic shoe boxes that I use to germinate in.

I bought 6 of these for a buck a piece, thought I would try it, in place of the expensive and fragile domes, and instead of the hassel of plastic wrap.
It is working very well.

I plan to direct sow: Onion sets, potatoes, peas, lettuce, and radishes, as soon as, I can get them planted... soil is too wet right now. Later in the season, I will also direct sow tomatoes and peppers, I just wanted some earlier ones.

And I am starting sweet potato slips inside to be ready for....(drum roll) warm weather... ha ha

Good luck with your gardening, seems your list is pretty good, a bit of everything.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm in zone 6b and I started the earliest things, slow growing perennials (rosemary and lavender), cold hardy annuals (broccoli and cabbage) back around the 20th of Jan. So I have cabbage and broccoli plants that are about 6" high and can go out whenever it stops snowing long enough to harden them out.

I've been gradually starting more and more since then (I've been posting about it, including some pictures, look for some of my posts), including dill, tomatoes, peppers, petunias, impatiens, nicotiana, coleus, red and green basil, etc etc. Where I am we are only about 7 weeks now from average last frost date, so pretty much anything except the warmest weather crops can be started. Warmest weather crops includes zucchini, watermelon, etc.

This weekend I will be transplanting the tomatoes, peppers, and some other stuff from the little cells to the three inch pots.

From your list the lettuce and peas I would just direct seed in the ground, as soon as the soil can be worked, ie at least the top few inches of it are unfrozen and dried out enough not to be too clumpy. Corn is usually planted directly in the ground but later, after all danger of frost. The broccoli and peppers you are a bit behind schedule (broccoli because it's a cool weather crop that fades out once it gets hot and pepper because it is slower to germinate and grow) . Tomatoes would be good to plant now, you should be pretty much right on target. The watermelon and cucumbers, it's a bit too early. They grow fast and they don't like to go out until the ground has warmed up. Put them in a couple weeks ahead of your average last frost date (you can look that up).

FreyOrganics

Just planted Brocolli, Snow Peas, and Peppers today. Just might start the Tomatos tonight yet. Since it seems they should be already.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”