FreyOrganics

Starting beans indoors. Zone 6

Does anyone here start their beans and peas indoors?

When would I want to start planting in my flats for zone 6?

applestar
Mod

I'm in Zone 6b.

Last year, I started some peas with long maturity (80~85 days) indoors at 3/22 and transplanted them out 3/30. That worked out well. Make sure to start the peas in deep pots -- at least 3~4" deep.

50~60 day maturing peas that were direct seeded 3/9 and 3/22 all came up around the same time around 4/1, and peas direct seeded on 4/1 didn't do as well when the heat descended but did produce for a while.

*** Make sure to protect your pea garden from rabbits -- they think you're giving them an extra treat when the tender morsels sprout. Also, some birds, like the flying rats -- oh, excuse me, grackles -- will pull pea sprouts out of the ground, pea and all :evil: ***

This year, I'm planning to try starting some peas extra early 3/1 (in the unheated garage, no extra heat), setting up poly tunnels to transplant out in mid-March, and direct sow some more.

I don't start beans early because they don't have the short-spring heat issues like peas, and direct seed after it's warm enough. Last year, 4/2 was too early, 4/27, when seeds were sown at the same time tomatoes were set out with protection, worked out very well. Same precaution applies against the FR's. :wink:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You want to sow your beans after the soil has warmed up to about 60 degrees. Don't worry about planting late, they will catch up fast. As far as starting peas indoors, I can't say, but it does sound like others have had some success with it.

seagullplayer

I was thinking about starting some bush beans and leaving them in the greenhouse, am I crazy?

RyanDe680
Cool Member

I was thinking about starting beans (pole and edamame) indoors.

I'm in zone 5 however, so I will be waiting for a while yet.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm in zone 6b and I'm thinking I'm just about a couple weeks or so from being able to plant peas outdoors, so I don't bother planting them indoors. Beans neither, because they are so fast growing and as Applestar noted they don't have the same problem with withering up as soon as it gets hot.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I plant most things as seed directly in the garden. The only things I plant as plants are tomatoes, peppers and sometimes onions. I have had really good success with this. I grew 32 varieties of garden plants last year.

Peas should be planted early. They like cool weather. If you are wanting to hurry it up you could soak your peas overnight before planting them. If planting in warm weather it is good to presprout them. They sometimes are balky to germinate when the weather is hot.

Here is how I presprout seed: Put the seed in a quart bottle and fill the jar with water. Let soak over night. In the morning drain the water off and invert the bottle on a paper towell sitting on the counter. It works best to hold the towell over the top of the jar as you turn it over and set it down. This lets any excess water come off the seed, but holds the humidity high. Each evening and morning take up the bottle and rinse the seed with lukewarm water, drain and again invert the bottle on the paper towell. It takes two or three days usually to see a root emerge on the seed. As soon as you see this go plant them. Don't wait until the roots get long.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”