Decado
Green Thumb

Light Too Hot For Seedlings?

So about 3" above the seed flat it's 78 degrees before I put the fan in even, is that going to be too hot for the seedlings? Should I lower them or does that seem fine?

applestar
Mod

Check the optimum germination temp range for the seeds you planted, and the optimum growth temp. I gave you the links before but they were for Johnny's Seeds, Territorial Seeds, and Stokes Seeds. All seed vendors with detailed growing instructions. As the seeds germinate and their seed leaves become fully extended, lower the temp or move them to lower temp locations.

I move them off the full high bottom heat immediately after germination.

bigdoug

And don't underestimate how much the fan can bring the tempature down too. The little clamp-on desk fan that I use brings the temp. above my seedlings down a good 5 to 7 degrees, depending on the setting. That gets you closer to 70 degree happy medium that most plants can live with. Obviously cole plants and lettuces would prefer cooler temps, but if you're starting everything together and seperate areas with different temps are not an option, then the median of what all plants can deal with as far as temperature goes would be the 65-70 degree vacinity.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”