Tigerlilylynn
Cool Member

3 sister bean options and overseeding margin

Also, what's a good overseed buffer? As in, I ultimately want 3 adult brussles sprouts so between germination issues, human error and hardening off is there any sort of rule of thumb for how much to sow or should I just do what fits under the lights and cross my fingers?

what fits under the lights and cross my fingers is good! :) Otherwise, double what you want to end up with should be plenty. Most veggie seed from reliable companies has a very high germination rate, so the losses will mostly be what happens after that. Hardening off is where I lose most plants; I'm just in too much hurry and of course I have this thing called a job, so I can't stay home and move the plants according to the dictates of the weather.

nes
Green Thumb

I wouldn't choose scarlet runners for the beans, I grew them last year more for the flowers/humming bird attraction :). I think you'll have much better yields/taste with another bean. Sorry can't be helpful though, I prefer bush-beans.

I am doing 3 seeds/pot (with the exception of giant pumpkins which I'm doing 1/pot) and then picking the strongest seedling.

Tigerlilylynn
Cool Member

Ah ha! My Southern Exposure catalog used the term cornfield beans which is pulling lists that are specifically listing the varieties that play well with others.

https://www.heirlooms.org/catalog.html

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”