nes
Green Thumb

Celery

Two questions:

(1) How do I make a compost tea when everything is frozen? :S I've read that I'm supposed to soak the celery seeds in C/T for 8 hours before sowing - could I get away with just water? :?
Or can I purchase compost tea or something?

(2) Why do I want to blanche my stalks?
Are the ones at the grocery store blanched?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm trying to grow celery myself, I hear it is hard to grow. I planted some late last year and it didn't get very far, though it was probably too late. I forgot about the wetting the seeds thing, but plain water would be fine.

Blanching helps make them sweeter and keeps them form getting green. The ones at the store are more than likely blanched, though there are self blanching variety's.

Good luck

Timlin

Soak in water.....it will be fine.

Blanched celery is far more tender than if not blanched. If celery is just left it gets stringy and tough........blanch all you can!!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Needs RICH soil. Compost aplenty! Water copiously! Pray against all hope... hard crop to grow...

Piling hay around it for blanching keeps the permeability for air and moisture good...

HG

nes
Green Thumb

Thanks guys, celery, strawberries & cauliflower are my experimental veggies this year (last year being fairly prolific for the conditions we had - I decided to challenge myself).

I've got a few tricks up my sleeve, but I know I don't have a great chance so I'm just happy for the experience, if I get celery that's a bit of a bonus ;).

I always thought the celery at the store looked already green :? that's very interesting though!! :)

applestar
Mod

My Par-Cel cutting celery is sprouting after 9 days, and I have Golden Pascal Celery seeds coming in the mail. Hopefully not too late -- the shipment is taking longer than anticipated. Tried Par-Cel last year, direct seeded, but I think the slugs got them because one day, they were sprouting, and then they were gone! :evil:

First time growing celery -- I read that they like almost boggy soil, so I'm going to put them where it gets a bit sloppy after a good rain, possibly along with Hypsizygus ulmarius (Garden/Elm Oyster Mushrooms).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”