Earl K
Green Thumb

New garden finally planted today

Finally after getting motivated,Igot out back today and planted everything for my next shot at a veggie garden(all in containers of course)Here is my list-Campari toms #1 & #2.# 1 is a seed from store bought and #2 is from toms grown from the store bought.Also planted Yellow Zuchini,Radish,Snap peas,Kentucky Wonders,Cukes, and some Cosmos flowers that were sent in the mail.Hope this time will be a little more productive than last time.Planted late again but sooner than last year.Also will find a couple tomato varieties to add to the bunch(something full size)Well wish me luck :D

zone9garden.com

I am so glad that winter is over... it has been so darn cold here latley (for Central Florida that is)...

Cagolddigger

Nice to hear the gardens going in. :D

Today I put the first seeds in. I planted 150 peas.

I went out and took the soil temp. and it was 60-65F in the sun and still 40 - 50F. in the shade.

Time to start seeds indoors. woohoo!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Florida is such an odd place. I'm trying to understand weather conditions that would support planting peas, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, and zucchini all at the same time... Seems like if it's cold enough for the peas, it's too cold for the zukes and cukes... But like I said, I have no experience gardening in Florida!

Lots of luck, anyway!! :) :)

Venomous_1
Cool Member

You make me sick! Just kidding. :D I'm a transplanted Gator myself. Miss planting this early in the year. Got another month and half yet here in TN.

Timlin

I'm a winter Texan this year, been cold here for what they're used to. I see the annuals in the stores now and folks leaving with wheelbarrow full of plants and equipment so I'm assuming they plant now. (I hope they hold off a wee bit it's pretty cold overnight right now)

We head for home on the 8th, expecting to be there by the 13th, and we will have a month of winter left before the snow is all gone and things really begin to warm up. We don't plant out until the end of May.....it's just sad to see how late we are.

Hope you're all enjoying the planting and planning. I'm jealous!!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Winter is not over here. It is 20 degrees F with wind gusting to 22 mph. I won't plant my garden until late April or early May. If we have non stop rain like last year I won't plant anything until about mid June.

Cagolddigger

I see the annuals in the stores now and folks leaving with wheelbarrow full of plants and equipment so I'm assuming they plant now.
Don't let this determine when to start planting. Especially vegetables.
Be sure to check your zones and take temp. of the soil.

I have a journal from the past years and I check against that to see weather patterns. Last year (Here in Cali) we had great weather from March-April and I started planting. The soil temp. was perfect. Then in the end of April, beginning of May we had a cold snap. I had some vegies planted and it set them back considerably and killed a few. It took the early planted vegetables longer to produce than those I planted after the cold snap.

applestar
Mod

Cagolddigger wrote:Don't let this determine when to start planting. Especially vegetables.
Well THAT'S for sure. Just because the big box stores set them out in the cold and replace the dead ones with fresh shipments doesn't mean they're ready to be planted. :roll:

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

I could plant since beginning of March, but it won't happen early in March, because my seedlings are still tiny, and it looks like I will change my community garden plot to the better area - even closer to the ocean. After I work in the garden, I will be able to go to the beach and swim or play some guitar. I am not looking forward to moving my compost pile though....

Earl K
Green Thumb

RG,I don't have much experience growing in Florida either?????I'm only bout 8-9 months into this whole thing.I think I got a late start last year and with our(unusual) freezing temps the last month,I was scared to plant anything.Maybe a little earlier than last time so maybe better luck this time.don't know what to plant at exactly what time but the freeze is gone I think I'm ok.Bad thing is I direct planted and 5 hours after that we had a 2 hour downpour so I'm still waiting to see if anything sprouts.Weeeeeeeeeeelllllllll seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”