Decado
Green Thumb

Swiss Chard - When to Start & When to Plant in Ground?

When do I start the seeds and when do i plant them in the ground?
Last edited by Decado on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would wait until the third week of April and plant directly in the garden.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Decado
Green Thumb

I forgot to mention I'm in zone 4, would you still say the third week of april?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree about direct seeding your swiss chard into the ground. They are pretty cold hardy, so we usually say "as soon as the ground can be worked." That's when the ground is unfrozen (at least the top few inches!) and isn't too wet (doesn't all clump up when you try to turn it with a trowel).

For me that tends to be about a month ahead of my average last frost date.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Decado wrote:I forgot to mention I'm in zone 4, would you still say the third week of april?
Yes, or as soon after that as the ground is dry enough to work. It depends largely on how the season develops and how soon your ground can be worked.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

garden5
Super Green Thumb

What do you do with the multiple seedling that come from each seed? to you thin them to one per seed or just let them grow?

Thanks.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

soil
Greener Thumb

here you can start swiss chard anytime. i have some plants that are going on 2 years old, still picking fresh greens daily or almost daily. one leaf is like a meal for one person there so huge lol.
For all things come from earth, and all things end by becoming earth.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I don't thin Swiss Chard, until it is large enough to eat. Then I just go through and first harvest is... getting the crowded areas.

I don't live where it will grow year round, but it is as reliable in cool season as it is in warm, or hot... so for me, it is a wonderful green!

I did consider starting some inside, to get an even earlier start, they are so good. And I have plastic tunnels warming my beds... soon very soon.
Talk to your plants.... If your plants talk to you... Run!

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

If your in zone 4, like me I would start them inside. That way they can even have a good growing start, and since it can get hot very quick, having that quick start is crucial. You could start them in April sometime and get them out middle to late May.
Why buy produce when you can grow it?
-Nick

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I have terrible luck getting chard and beets (same plant, different growth forms) to start in my rough garden soil. If they do germinate they get cut down by slugs. Luckily, both can be started inside and transplanted when they get true leaves started.

applestar
Mod

:lol: I just separated some beet and S. chard seedling multiples yesterday. It's do-able after their seed leaves grow out (about 1wk after germination), but not much later -- the roots will be too tangled. But, really, it's not strictly necessary. I was just doing it for fun.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I like to place beet seed one at a time 2 inches apart in the row. I don't thin until there are some nice greens. This is fun because it is a harvest not a job.

Chard I plant the same way but don't thin. Just harvest a leaf when needed.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/two_nice_ones.jpg[/img]
A couple of nice ones.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/chard.jpg[/img]
Chard

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

What can I say, jal_ut? Those are incredible...uh...beets! I was lucky to get a few beet greens last year, but have a theory as to why they were such a...bust. :wink: As with so much else in my yard, not enough sun...

I love seeing your successful garden and the incredible backdrop! Are those the Wasatch Mountains? The Grand Staircase?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”