Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Seed Prices are too Expensive

I looked at seeds yesterday. One company is $2.79 per pack of 25 seeds. Another company $2.49 and another company $1.89.

Last year plants came only in 9 packs for $3.50 each pack. For an extra $1.00 I will buy plants instead of seeds. I only really want 1 bell pepper plant I can give away the other 8 plants.

One year I got all my seeds FREE at the grocery store. I bought vegatables for dinner, removed the seed, ate the vegatables. Later I planted the seeds. They may not be hybrid seeds but I don't care.

This year my seeds came from last summers garden. I have okra, corn, beans, squash and tomato seeds. That is all I am going to plant this year. 3 rows of tomatoes, 3 rows of beans, 1 row of okra, 12 rows of corn, 1 row of squash.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, seeds can add up to money. I spent a bit over $60 on my seed order this year (but that included $10 worth of seed potatoes, so $50 on everything else including S&H).

But for example the Italian Large Leaf Basil I bought was $1.95 for a packet (jung seeds) . But the packet is 350 seeds! So I will be planting from that packet of seeds for the next 5 years or so. Divide $2 / 5 years = 40 cents a year for all the basil I can eat, plus basil plants to give away. Seems like a pretty big bargain to me.

I never feel bad about the money I spend on seeds (now buying plants and shrubs and trees, that's another thing ! :) )

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

You can do some comparison shopping.

And when all else fails, there is American Seeds at Wally World for .20 per package.

I spent about 200.00 on seeds in 2009... But, I had lost all my seeds and had nothing saved from earlier years, due to a house fire.

Save seeds from everything... we eat an apple... save the seeds,

And they will grow! If you save seeds sooner or later, you won't spend so much per year... even at .20 per package.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

A typical pack of seeds lasts me five years or longer, so at $2.50 comes to about 50 cents per year. I store them in the freezer during off season and germination rates for tomatoes and most other veggies stays very high for at least 4 years.

Most years I buy some of my seeds for half price at the end of the season. Of course more and more often I'm collecting my own seeds and saving them.

Gurneys always has a spend $50 and get a $25 discount each season. I've bought seeds from them for years and had complete satisfaction. They may not carry the greatest variet or the most exotic, but for ordinary items the seeds produce healthy plants with delicious fruit.

If you pay attention to the various vendors prices vs. weight of contents, you can get real bargains at $2.50, where you are really buying many years worth of years for that price.

syntheticbutterfly
Cool Member

I always think that for the price of a cup of coffee, a packet of seeds is a bargain for the pleasure I get from them. As others have said collecting your own seeds will save money and why not get involved with some seeds swaps?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Each year I spend no more than $25-$35 on seeds, and that small expense results from my exercising no self discipline whatsoever. Like a kid in a candy store, I order what I want. Now how does that seed expense stack up against other gardening expenses.

Last year:
synthetic soil - $300-$400
organic fertilizers and chemical fertilizers - $200
drip irrigation components - $150
transplants - $600
planters - $300
perlite - $100
propane for greenhouse - $600
additional orchids - $400

year before last - new tiller - $800
Japanese maples - $300
heating mat - $100

For me, the seed expense falls into the negligible category. If one choses to use minimalist gardening techniques, a small but varried vegetable garden can likely be planted and grown in most locations for well under under $50.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I myself don't think that prices are too bad though some places are pretty high. I like Baker Creek seeds for one. They are one of the cheapest around plus it is local for me.

Plus like you said, you save seeds and places like Baker Creek, Seed Savers Exchange etc. only deal in heirlooms which if done right you never have to buy seeds again. Not to mention you will never find the endless variety at a store or nursery that you can when buying seeds from various company's.

I just looked at some of my seeds, I have some that date back 4 years. As rainbowgardener said that sounds like a great deal to me.

Dono :D

Seed prices are great compared to the $40 bag of organic potting soil I saw yesterday. :eek:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

$40.00? Wow what was it gold dust?

I also have ordered from Pintree Seeds and Artistic Gardens.
And about 4-5 others...

All but one gave me good service, and fairly good value for my money... the more expensive bags, were alot more seeds.

But, more seeds is.... more to swap... ha ha

soil
Greener Thumb

Think of it this way, how much food do you get for that 2-3$ packet?

As an example one packet of basil as mentioned above will give you enough seeds to grow a few hundred dollars worth of basil if you wanted to. either in one year alone or over the next few years.

And if your smart you only have to buy seeds once. saving your own seed from year to year and only buying new variety's to introduce to your collections or you can just create your own.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Seeds.......$45

Rake........$17

Hoe.........$14

watching corn tassels blowing in the breeze and seeing the sun gleaning off a ripe red tomato......priceless.

You pay about $45 and get some seeds. There are so many angles you can look at this subject and they change depending on your situation, needs, and circumstances.

When you look at how much things cost when our parents and grandparents were gardening, you could say that the price of seeds is much higher than it used to be, but so is the price of just about everything else.

Now, should a packet of seeds cost $2.50? That is a matter of opinion; Some will say "yes", some will say "no." Even when you talk about price trends in general, some will argue that our cost of living today compared to what we earn is is cheaper than it was "back in the day." Others will say just the opposite.

Also, depending on your financial situation, $45 may or may not be a lot of money.

Also, as some others here have said, these seeds, if stored properly, can last for years. So, if you amortize the costs over the years the seeds will last you, they come out not really costing that much.

Should seeds cost less than they do? In many cases I'd say "yes," especially the more "rare" or "exotic" varieties that cost $10 to $15 a pack.

Are seeds still a value? They sure are! Just remember, you are paying for seeds, but you are really getting plants. If you consider that a tomato will cost you about $1-$2 at the store (now, I'm talking tasteless, generic tomatoes, the heirlooms are even more), and also that one pack of tomato seeds will produce several hundred dollars worth of tomatoes through its "life span," seeds are actually not only a bargain...they are an investment.

In the end, no matter how much you spend on all the seeds, you are Salomon guaranteed (provided they were viable and grow correctly) to reap food that is dozens or hundreds of times more expensive than the seeds. We are talking about a 10,000% return on investment. That's not even considering the implications of buying heirlooms and saving your own seed for free year over year!

Go ahead, buy some seeds and enjoy the harvest.

Happy Gardening!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Well said G5. 8)

GeorgiaGirl

Keep in mind, a lot has changed in the last year, so don't count on that 9-pack of plants still being $3.50 this year. (Maybe it will - I hope so! but I wouldn't count on it.)

Those of you who "splurged" on $25-60 worth of seeds have me feeling guilty... I have had a shopping cart full of $200 worth of heirloom seeds and I'm finding it hard to submit the order (or cull it down)!! I will be saving the seeds forevermore, and it's such a great variety that we could easily live off this produce happily forever, but yikes, $200 sure is a lot to spend in one fell swoop.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

GeorgiaGirl wrote:Keep in mind, a lot has changed in the last year, so don't count on that 9-pack of plants still being $3.50 this year. (Maybe it will - I hope so! but I wouldn't count on it.)
Great point, I have heard rumors of seed possible seed shortages due to bad weather last year. That could mean that the big producers of store bought plants are feeling the hit as well. We all know what happens than.

I just bought some corn gluten for my yard today and thankfully the very nice lady at the nursery made me a deal, obviously they aren't getting much business as cold as it is and still having snow on the ground. But she was telling me that corn products are really up now. I believe this, due to the fact farmers around here couldn't get their crops out of the ground due to it being too muddy last year. This may trickle down to greenhouse produced crops as well, hard to say, but I would have to believe that it will.

rootsy
Green Thumb

Put my sweet corn seed order in the mailbox this morning with check...

300,000 seed ct (enough to plant 12 acres) only ran me $1900....

Rest of my produce seed I've managed to keep under $350... Some of that I'll recoup by splitting with a few other small produce farmers market growers in the area...

Barring any mechanical issues with machinery this year should be reasonably inexpensive to produce... If we get enough water in July / August anywho.

Decado
Green Thumb

No matter how expensive seeds are they're exponentially cheaper than buying the already started plants at the store. This is my first year starting seeds myself and I know I won't save any money this year since the light cost $150, but every year from here on out I'm going to be saving around $200 a year by starting seeds.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Decado wrote:No matter how expensive seeds are they're exponentially cheaper than buying the already started plants at the store. This is my first year starting seeds myself and I know I won't save any money this year since the light cost $150, but every year from here on out I'm going to be saving around $200 a year by starting seeds.
That is for sure. Now, don't get me wrong, starts have their place. If some one is new to gardening, especially kids, or if you only have a small space, say, for three to five plants, than starts really are not that bad.

But, if you want variety, quantity, and the knowledge of what the plants were or were not grown in, From seed is way better. Let's not forget that it was the infected store starts that were the main cause of the late blight that claimed many a patch last year.

Saving money is a given. For the price of 6-9 transplants (or 1 of those ridiculously over-priced single-pot plants) You could grow 40+ starts from seed.

Plus, there's always the enjoyment of watching the seedlings grow.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”