Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Off topic!

Gixx where did you get the cute smiley face, banging his head on the wall.. I had to laugh at that one... I know that feeling!

I loved it... I want one...

Okay, back on topic, I digress... but it is cute!

Gerrie

My extension center book says to start my tomatoes in March inside, so I haven't started them yet, but they do really well for me from seed.

I have onions, leeks, lettuce, parsley, cabbage and brocoli started now. The onions do better, I find started in the garage than outside from seed. Now it's time to start cauliflower and escarole, I better get with it. Has anyone heard of trimming the onion seedlings when they get too tall and spindly (when they are still in pots, very young). I trimmed a couple of mine and am waiting to see if it helps or kills :?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It is said to give your onions a "haircut" and keep them 3-4 inches until they go out. I have even read to clip the roots before transplanting. Can't tell you much more that that maybe some else will have more to add.

OL the extra emoticons are right there to the left of the frame you write your post in. Just click "View More Emoticons".
Last edited by gixxerific on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fineas_Ranch

Does anyone grow kohlrabi? My dad and I both love it. he normally buys little starter plants from a local nursery/farm market, but I told him that I'd get some seeds for him and get them started-in exchange for some of the plants of course. This is my first year starting plants, so any suggestions?

I also want to start peas for him, tomatoes and peppers for him and my in-laws, some lettuce that I think I should be able to grow here. My MIL also wants mini pumpkins, but those I don't think I'll be starting indoor.

applestar
Mod

KOHLRABI! Jal_ut posted about them in the fall and I was going to try them! I guess I'll HAVE to go seed shopping for them as well as Romanesco Broccoflowers now! I'm pretty sure he said to grow kohlrabi like cabbage.

Peas can be started indoors (I did last year for longer maturing pole peas) but some say that it's best to leave the pea seeds to decide the best time to germinate outside. I did notice that when DS'd outside "as soon as soil can be worked" it took them FOREVER to come up -- like 2 weeks. And the ones planted a week or two later for staggered production basically came up at the same time.

Ah ha! https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=111953#111953
Last edited by applestar on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gerrie

Gix, when is your last frost date? Ours is May 15th but I have had better luck putting them out May21 and even then covering them at night. I think I will take your advise though, and plant a few now. LOL, that will be me pushing a crated tree size tomato out to my garden in May.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm sorry I deleted my previous response I didn't realize it was so late for you, hopefully someone else will chime in I don't want to screw you up. My 10% first date Apr 24. I saw what OR last frost was and was shocked which got me to looking at my references here I was kind of going off the wrong one I may have to do some rethinking myself.

It may be too early for you count back 6-8 weeks plus germination from when you want to transplant. Which I'm coming up with about the end of March.
Check this out this is what shocked me with the late dates. [url=https://davesgarden.com/guides/freeze-frost-dates/index.php?q=oregon&submit=Go]Last frost percentages[/url]type in you zip code for a more accurate reading.

crobi13

Thanks for the link, Gix! It showed me I was right on track :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

crobi13 wrote:Thanks for the link, Gix! It showed me I was right on track :D
Good I'm glad it's working out for you.

I just got back from Worm's Way with a new seed starter heat mat. They have EVERY organic thing you could think of and they sure are proud of it, can you say VERY EXPENSIVE!!!!!!The mat was pretty cheap compared to everywhere but everything else was pretty high. I wanted to get a back of seed starter or potting mix but they ranged from $20 - $40 for a regular sized bag. I'm sure it was good stuff they were mainly bat guano and worm casting mixes. They also told me cinnamon won't work for fungus and that NEEM won't either. I had to point it out to the guy, he was somewhat new but come on.

So seed starter mat do you guy's leave them on all the time?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So seed starter mat do you guy's leave them on all the time? YES

But most things only stay on them til they get 1-2 pair of true leaves. Then they are moved off to make room for more seeds. The heat is mainly only for the germination.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I knew about the second part and thank you Rainbowgardener (I got it right this time)

wolfie

swiss chard is that colorful stuff right? what does it taste like?

I have peppers, squash and cucumbers planted already. I have raised beds, so I think I am good to put them outside at about end of march, beginning of april... so I think my timing is ok...

I will start toms next I think?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

wolfie wrote:swiss chard is that colorful stuff right? what does it taste like?
Yes it is that colorful stuff. :wink: As for taste I would have to say like lettuce. Not really sure. It's not bitter or anything. I always put it in salads.

Gerrie

LOL, Gix, the part of Or. that showed up first when I went to the site said you could count on not having frost from July 29-31. What on earth can anyone grow there? nutz:

Fortunately we are in Southern Oregon and the zip code came up with an answer for May 16th to Oct. 4th and dang if you can't count on frost on Oct. 4th exactly!

I leave my heat mat on 24-7 and my lights for 12 hours a day.

Swiss chard is wonderful cooked too, tastes to me like a mild spinach. Just cook it as you would spinach or as an Italian, I add olive oil to EVERYTHING.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yeah that is why I deleted most of my response telling you to go ahead and plant now. Even though now is a little early for you anyway's. When I started looking at that site I saw
Your frost-free growing season is around 36 days.
I about fell out of my chair. :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Here are my first tom sprouts found them this morning, after all that worrying about "damping off" yesterday too. It's all good. :clap:

Oh yeah D_V, and the rest of you the race is over the peat pellets beat my starters in my mix that are in Dixie cups (paper ones, plastic would be better).
Though the Dixie's are coming up just barely visible, but the peaty's are standing taller, even more now than when I took this pic this morning.

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03314.jpg[/img]

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

"Houston, we have take off" O:)

Bring on the light, and watch them grow!!! Good to see that you found the way to germinate seedlings that works for you Dono! Keep up with updates!

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It's not over yet buddy, just so you know about a 1/4 of those that germinated are your seeds. So you are kicking some butt too. :clap:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Alright, looking good, Gixx!

That does it, where are those pots and dirt....

But, gee shouldn't I start the cool season crops before the warm? This just seems so odd.

I know, different areas... different zones...

I have cabbages scheduled to start this week, and celery those kinds of things... but tomatoes, peppers, and tobacco are more Fun!

I wanna have fun too!

I talked you through it Gixx, or tried to...

In 2009 I killed 760/800 seeedlings... so here goes...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the ordinary way of doing things is cool season first. I don't know if Gixx is doing any cool season stuff or just the tomatoes, etc.

But for being in Arkansas, it does seem like you have been a bit conservative. I started my cabbage and broccoli 1/21 and I'm a good ways north of you. Are you at high elevation? What is your average last frost date?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

You mean these pots I got 57 of the 4 inch some round some square and a various other sizes plus some flats. I got all these today for $0.00 I did buy some Dr. Earth potting soil and other stuff too it was a good day today. Along with the 50 four in. I got the other day I should be good.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03316.jpg[/img]
Last edited by gixxerific on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolfie

I want to get some of those flat ones u have with the individual compartments, where do u get those, does anyone know?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

wolfie wrote:I want to get some of those flat ones u have with the individual compartments, where do u get those, does anyone know?
Not sure where to buy them I got them from a local nursery for free.

RG I have Tom's, Peppers, Eggplant, Onions, Carrots, Brussels Sprouts, radishes and nasturtiums going. I have been waiting for flats like I got today, tomorrow I'm going to start some celery, broccoli, cauliflower and who knows I'm on a roll.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I am in zone 6b/7 and yes elevation is 1500' so a bit above sea level.
Last frost is a relative term... My chart says March 23... But the % one that you use here, says April 15... 8 weeks.
My experience is no warm season plants outside before May 1st... But be ready then..

I have been thinking over what went wrong last year... to turn it around this year. Normally I am good with seedlings... not so last year.
I killed the plants at first true leaves, or the second set.
Finally, I started them outside, and got some to live.
So, I definitely don't want an instant replay of that.

I also must confess the 760 that I killed were tobacco seedlings... they are so very tiny! And I listened to other folks... and killed them.
Finally, I just decided they are tiny tomatoes and did it my way!! ha ha

So, I think that I am dragging my feet just a bit.. from the getting burned on seed starts last year. I keep reminding myself... we all have bad years.. just not usually that bad!

My self confidence really took a major hit... Know what I mean?

In self defense, I stuck seedlings in the ground at first leaves... and didn't lose more than 10% and that was with animals digging them up..

For some reason, I just don't start seeds well in the house.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Ozark Lady wrote: I also must confess that I killed 760 seedlings...
Please stop saying this, it's upsetting my baby's :lol:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Gixxx, they are too young to read...
Stop reading the forum to them, and they will never know!! :shock:
(grinning)

Halfway
Green Thumb

Peppers have sprouted and are now under the grow lights, woot, woot!!!

The heating pad (cheapo) seems to be the key as the other tray has had no germination as of yet.

Staring at the 6 foot snow drifts in the ever shrinking driveway is not quite as bad now.

:)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ozark Lady - I loved your response about the seedlings being too young to read! :) LOL indeed!

Sounds like your last frost date is the same as mine, your elevation making up for me being farther north, but in the protected Ohio River Valley.

I'm much more experimental about putting those tomatoes and peppers out as soon as there is no more frost, without worrying about whether the soil has warmed much yet. I put them out with hot caps over them and no mulch, so the soil can continue to warm. And I am gardening in raised beds, which warm up quicker than the regular ground.

I have killed some plants that way, so I do always keep some in reserve. But honestly where I usually kill plants is in the hardening off process, not once they are in the ground. The hardening off is tricky, when I have up to 20 trays of plants coming in and out on a daily basis depending on the weather-- life is exciting at that point!

So having the experience of killing off most of the seedlings I was trying to harden off, I do hear you about how traumatic that is!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I should write a book...101 ways to kill your seedlings! :lol:

I did not have mold or damping off. Odd huh?

I killed them with underwatering, lack of light, lack of feeding them, and drowned some in rain.. I did even manage to kill some with hardening off.

Then there was squirrels knocking them off the table, chickens digging them up... something sitting on them, and smashing them down... I had alot of "help" in killing them. Did I mention a sudden hail storm and they were outside... it was a nice day, no rain in sight... I went to town and left them outside...

Finally in desperation, I made the tunnels, and used them to grow, and harden them off, and for acclimating them... so the slugs went after them.

I need to also add. On the Arkansas agriculture site, they have many reports of crop loss for 2009 due to the odd weather...
It wasn't all my fault.. just 75% of it...

On another forum, someone's cat kept killing their seedlings, I don't own a cat, but my sons do and they visit here alot... maybe even cats killed some.

What is my point? I got educated! Really, as long as, I started them, they grew, I planted them and went my merry way... I could not empathize with folks having issues... So I had all my issues in one year...
I can now identify with folks stressing over killing seedlings.

It didn't stop me... as I look at over 300 seed packets... nope it didn't deter me... Just made me cautious.

bcallaha
Cool Member

There has been mention of heating pads for starting seeds. I assume these are the speciality heating pads just for that purpose. We have a heating pad that my wife used years ago, but no longer uses. Would this type of heating pad work?

:oops:

Brad

Tigerlilylynn
Cool Member

Yup loads of people here are using drug store heating pads.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Another idea... also... not instead of...

My refrigerator is up against the wall, it has cabinets around it.
Now we all know refrigerators make heat when they run and you must give it some room to get rid of the heat...

My heat comes up the back and out the top, over the frig and below the cabinets... I use that space to start seedlings, I simply fill a container, wrap it in Saran Wrap, or use a dome.. I do have to check it daily, and move the seedlings to more light immediately.

It works for me! And that heat is not being used... well not really. I normally germinate seeds in 3-5 days there. And I just stack the containers one on top of the other. You can't stack on top of Saran Wrap, unless you really get it tight, but the domes will stack...

Halfway
Green Thumb

bcallaha wrote:There has been mention of heating pads for starting seeds. I assume these are the speciality heating pads just for that purpose. We have a heating pad that my wife used years ago, but no longer uses. Would this type of heating pad work?

:oops:

Brad
I used a cheapo heating pad we have had for twenty years. Regular old heating pad probably from walgreens.

applestar
Mod

Gixx mentioned somewhere that some heating pads are equipped with automatic shut-off, which will not work for seed growing; otherwise, they are working well for a lot of people.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Gixx mentioned somewhere that some heating pads are equipped with automatic shut-off, which will not work for seed growing; otherwise, they are working well for a lot of people.
True, that was mine, though maybe not yours. Especially if it is an older one it may not have the Auto-shutoff. I went and bought a specialty heating pad though the "sore back pad" was working I just had to restart it every 2 hours. :x Which in the long run wasn't doing what it should. Another thing to think about about is you don't know the temp they put out unless you get an inline thermometer it may get too hot (the sore back kind that is). But I have seen a few people using them. It's better than nothing, a lot of people use the fridge method as well.

So many choices and so many decisions. :?

brownsfan62

I have a few dozen onions two weeks into sprouting, and they are looking awesome under the lights! Started eggplants and broccoli today--peppers get underway next week.

One of these years, I'll be able to see the garden again, but until then, I'm enjoying my little garden patch on the kitchen table! :D

[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2730/4365422851_8d505548df_m.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

FYI re: onion starts: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=109760#109760

That's a nice plant stand, and your onions look good. They *may* need a bit of thinning? Not sure as I'm growing mine individually in TP tubes and last year, tried the Elliot Coleman's 4 seeds/pot method in egg cartons (it worked but the roots were cramped, thus the TP tubes this year)

Don't forget to adjust the height of individual containers. See my post here:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112445#112445

Halfway
Green Thumb

brownsfan62 wrote:I have a few dozen onions two weeks into sprouting, and they are looking awesome under the lights! Started eggplants and broccoli today--peppers get underway next week.

One of these years, I'll be able to see the garden again, but until then, I'm enjoying my little garden patch on the kitchen table! :D

[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2730/4365422851_8d505548df_m.jpg[/img]
Sorry this is off topic, but do trade ES Brown? If not disregard.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Why don't you throw some lettuce seedlings in? They need a good head start.
I can't believe I posted that :shock: :oops:! I meant to plant celery. It was a long day :lol:.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

So what do you think should I wait are they ready to transplant? I just don't know what they should look like at the right moment YET. Those 2 leaves are the seed leave? do I need to wait for more leaves?
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC03326.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC03327.jpg[/img]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”