Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I experimented, when the plants were in full sun, they wilted. I tried using fabric over the top of my tunnels, and within 15 minutes, the wilt is gone... If it takes an hour to un-wilt (is that a word?) then they need to be watered, once the sun is not so high and they have real tree shade.

The fabric covers were my true indicators of the status of my plants...
It really worked very well for me. But, the covers did not go to the ground, and allowed air flow... They were cotton fabric, and breathed...

I have photos that demonstrate the difference in only 15 minutes.

Think of a table on your patio... why do you have a sun umbrella over it? Is it really hotter with the umbrella shading the table than without it? Then why are they so popular... just for rainy days?

GrandMomMom

It seems that all of this good info from experienced gardeners comes from the Southern US, where days are now longer (but will be shorter) and the sun hotter than here in the Pacific Northwest!

My daughter is off to buy organic beet seeds for the partial sun raised box. After looking here I am thinking that a sheet of plywood painted white bight be just the ticket!

Wish us luck, but is she pushing it? She is a very new gardener with one very successful year behind her.

mrsgreenthumbs

I didn't stop to read all your reply's so excuse me if I'm wrong but in my house were trying a few new things this year. I have a tiny yard to grow in and it happens to have very little direct sun light. First I plant cooler stuff like spinach and broccoli on the end that get's shade first every day then I also ask my DH to save the tin foil I use to wrap his breakfast burritos and sandwiches for lunch I take those after a few uses and lay it on the soil around the base of the plant shiny side up. Theoretically I should be able to reflect some of the light back up to the plant. Now if this does not work I have also built a hoop house structure out of PVC pipe that I use in the winter as a hot house. I will take some clip lamps clip them to the pvc and put in UVA/UVB bulbs (I raise reptiles as another hobby so for me I all ready have a lot of the bulbs and lamps just laying around but for others that may not have this opportunity this may not be a financially sound option) Either way I have two options. Hope this helped

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”