Jbest

This is my seed propagation process and equipment

Many years ago I sprouted my seeds in the standard 1020 trays with various inserts and commercial seed starting mix. At best I had mediocre results with germination. I Then tried the peat pots and later the peat pellets with no improvement in results. My next change was using the low humidity domes and had a great improvement with germination. But because of the different germination rates, I had an occasional problem with fungi. About 10 yrs ago I switched to the high domes so the early germinating seeds would have room to grow while waiting for the others to sprout. About the same time I built a permanent germinating station with a bed of heated sand about 2’ X 4â€

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Looks like your having some good success. Looks like you also have some strong pepper seedlings :D

nes
Green Thumb

I've been snooping around at those soil blockers (that's what Martha recommends ;) :lol:) I always thought they would be ridiculously expensive. Can I ask?

Obviously you've found they work quite well! :)

Jbest

nes wrote:I've been snooping around at those soil blockers (that's what Martha recommends ;) :lol:) I always thought they would be ridiculously expensive. Can I ask?

Obviously you've found they work quite well! :)
All my soil blockers are home made.[img]https://www.smileycons.com/img/emotions/85.gif[/img] John

nes
Green Thumb

This is my face right now ---> :shock:

I didn't even realize till you said that & I took another look - those are just tin cans!!! SMARTY PANTS!!!!! :idea:)

applestar
Mod

I tried soil blocks for a while last year, but I gave up up them because I was using up twice as much soil to make the blocks vs. filling container. Remember making sand castles? You have to PACK the soil in for the block to hold its shape. I was running out of soil mixes way too fast. I ended up using paper pots for most 2nd uppots -- loosely fill to the top, thump the bottom to settle, then fill again.

With commercial blockers, they sell sized blockers so that the tiny blocks fit into the hole made in the next size block and so on. That *seems* like such a brilliant idea.... :?

Well, maybe I'll play with some soil blocks this year too. I tell you what, making them is at lot of fun! :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”