GardenGeek
Cool Member

Small garden veggies suggestions

Hi folks!

My Father is growing a small garden and asked me to think of some veggies and fruits I would want to grow. I am not a veggie gardener, so I wouldn't know what to put in there. What plants are good for small gardens?

Suggest me some veggies best to grow to in small garden and which don't require much effort ?

pepper4
Green Thumb

Welcome! When you say small garden what size are you talking? Also what area do you or your dad live in? Does he have the room to do some container growing? This is only my second year at gardening but off the top of my head and with the limited experience I have had I would say radishes, garlic and onions. Oh and bush beans. There's alot of unknowns to really answer that question but there's some ideas. Hope it helps.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes and peppers are classics for the small garden as long as you have plenty of sunshine. The reason for this is you can plant one and it just keeps producing and producing (and pepper plants are relatively small, easy to grow even in containers). Beyond that I agree with the bush beans. And maybe some zucchini, growing up a trellis.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

My garden plot is 10 by 20, and I share it with my friend, so basically I have 10 by 10. I have four raised square beds there and grow veggies very close to each other, but I use a lot of compost. I raise tomatoes, cucumbers(on the trellis), greens, strawberries, herbs(some in pots, because they spread like crazy, if in the ground), chives, onions, radishes, calendula flowers(I eat their petals in salads), borage(I juice the leaves and eat flowers) and probably more stuff, which I can't remember right now. Oh yes, beets and carrots. I love broccoli and red cabbage, but because of the space, I decided not to plant them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

PS Swiss Chard! It is a green you can use raw or cooked, in any recipe that you would use spinach. But unlike spinach, the swiss chard just keeps growing and producing all season, spring, summer, fall and into winter!

Toil
Greener Thumb

how much sun does it get?

syntheticbutterfly
Cool Member

I also have a small garden but have choosen mainly "mini" varieties to maximise what I can grow.
Also you could try one of these quick salad mixes, don't need to take up a lot of space and can last really well.
If you are interested in a seed exchange I could send you a selection of things to try.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

If it were me Tomatoes, Peppers, Swiss Chard, Various lettuce, Beans Peas. These are good and easy to grow. I would say onions but some people (like me) have problems with those. Potatoes are another big producer but take up more room. Garlic doesn't take up too much room, cucmbwers trellised are great producers as well. So many more but when space is limited you gotta stop somewhere.

Good luck

On the Swiss chard that is my new favorite of last season. Like Rainbowgardener said it's just keeps growing and growing. I use it like lettuce for salads mixed with other lettuces. If you get the Bright lights version it's pretty as well I plan to plant it in most if not all of my flower beds this year that would save room in your actuall veg garden.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You could also try growing some determinate tomatoes, especially early varieties.

They flower and fruit all at once, after that, you can pull them and plant something else. Also, you can grow Burpee Butterbush squash, which is a butternut squash that grows in bush form.

This is in addition to what everyone else said.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

All good advice. My first query is: What do you like to eat? Most things can be grown in a small garden. Grow what you like to eat or what you can't get in the store, or what is expensive in the store. Have a great garden.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:All good advice. My first query is: What do you like to eat? Most things can be grown in a small garden. Grow what you like to eat or what you can't get in the store, or what is expensive in the store. Have a great garden.
That's the best advice right there. What do you want?

GardenGeek
Cool Member

First of all sorry guys for replying to you so late. I somehow forgot or maybe missed the post.
Anyway thanks for all of your suggestion, my area of the garden is around 15 feet only.
But I guess radishes, carrots and tomato would be a good idea this time :)
what do you say?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Carrots would not have been high on my list for a small space. They are slow growing and you grow one carrot and then you pull it and it is gone and over compared to beans and peppers and stuff that keeps on producing.

But jal_UT is right... grow what you most love to eat!

Jbest

Don't know what zone you are in but don't forget succession planting. John

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

A small salad patch, could keep on being replanted. With lettuce, carrots, radishes, maybe some green onions, to grow quick, and eat.
Then I think that I would put what I love most in next. For me, that would be tomatoes and peppers.
How rich is the soil? If it is really rich and humusy, you can add alot more to your growing plans. If it is weak, new soil, with little humus added... you would need to watch your spacings.
It is better to grow just a few things well..
Than many things, poorly. You can overcrowd, cause disease, and all kinds of nutrition issues in your plants.
A poorly nourished plant is giving off signals to every bug, disease organizism and parasite... come chew on me...
So, keep it small enough to really shine on the ones that you do grow.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”