boomer
Newly Registered

Hi! What's Growing in Your Vegetable Garden?

:lol: Just wanted to say Hi, I hope everyones garden is doing as well as mine. I would love to know what everyone is planting and how much etc.
looks like a great place to talk about veggie gardens. :lol:

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Hi there. No veggie garden yet. I am still in the process of weeding a bed out to put some things in. I have a huge amount of work ahead of me in terms of fixing my yard, so I may not even be able to plant any veggies this year. I DID, however, find something growing in my yard that I thought was a weed but very much resembles a carrot. Check this out.

So that is about all there is to my "vegetable garden".

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hi Boomer - welcome to the forum!
I have planted my usuals this year - eggplant, squash, roma tomatoes. Dill, Basil, purple Basil, tricolor sage (well, I purchased that one), oregeno, thyme, cilantro, lavender and rosemary. Parsley & sage are still good from last year, I'm actually letting them bloom as sage blooms are just lovely and I've never seen parsley bloom. When they're done I'll give them a good haircut.

If I find a good space soon, I might plant carrots. This year's garden isn't as large as I like my gardens to be, but when remodeling, you just do what you can.

Secret_Garden:
I don't know what that is, but it isn't carrots. Carrots have feathery foliage, sort of like Dill only not THAT feathery.

So don't add those roots to your stew just yet :lol:

(I'm just joking around, I know you wouldn't)

huskamute
Newly Registered

Ah, here in soggy Maine I just have peas, 3 inches up but could be putting in carrots, chard, onions etc as the weather lets up. I know some have planted already but in my experience seeds can rot and you have to start all over again. If all is in by the end of the month we should be just fine! Gives us plenty of time after the ground thaws to work in compost etc.!

How do you post pix by the way?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi secret, the leaves look a lot like dandelions but, the other foliage does not. Though, I can't be totally sure from the picture.

Grey is correct, that is definately not a carrot. If you have a college or university nearby, you may try the herbarium there.

peachguy

Well this year is my year for getting back into gardening. So I have planted everbearing strawberries, everbearing raspberries, three kinds of blueberries, beats, I am going to plant tomatos and watermelon but I am debating on planting:peas, beans, or lettuce. Also I got my redhaven peach tree this year I am so exciting about this year.

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Lol Grey. Mmmmm carrot stew. I dunno what in the world it is but to me it looked like a carrot. It was really long and skinny but when I broke it in half, it was orange on the inside and had that different colored center like a carrot. A lady I work with suggested today that maybe it was a wild carrot. Who knows. To me, if it's not a plant, a flower, or something edible, it's a weed to me. Silly, I know. I just want my yard to look nice and whatever those things are, they did not look good in my yard so they are gone!

How's the weather in everyone's areas? It's cool right now, but its after 11pm. It was beautiful and sunny today and the first of my bedding plants that I bought this year had a beautiful open bloom! It was one of my dark pink moss roses. :) That got me pretty excited. I am off this weekend so I hope that it will be nice out so I can get some work done!

garden_mom

I have a very small yard, and we are still doing work in our house (from a small fire last year), so I didn't think I'd get to have a garden this year (again). BUT, I put in a patio last fall and had about 1 1/2 to 2 yards of semi-decent soil in a hill in the middle of the little bit of yard I have, so I looked at it and thought, 'I'm going to have a garden this year!' and I put 20 left over cinderblocks around the dirt and spread it out, and I used the usual square foot gardening method I use (so much better than rows for a small space), and this year I have a roma, two beefsteaks, three peppers, four bush cukes, two brocolli, eight corn, 16 edible pod peas, a sweet potatoe, a pumpkin, a cantaloupe, carrots, and lettuce. I also have some strawberries along my fence. I know it's a small one, but maybe next year I'll have my usual three 4x4 plots.

underthemagnolia

Hi

I have lots of tomatoes, three kinds of peppers, sweet dumpling squash, cucumber, zucchini, bush beans, scallions, leeks, sugar snap peas, and cantaloupe. I also have broccoli that got a very late start, I've never grown it before and I don't know how it will do in the heat. I'll try again in August, at any rate. Spinach and lettuces are all done for the season.

This is my first year with a real garden, and many of these things I'm growing for the first time. I've learned a lot already and I'm chock full of ideas for what I'll do differently next year, or in some cases, next season. Gotta love living in Georgia where we can grow vegetables late into the year.

Pixie

josh
Newly Registered

This year is my first attempt at a garden, so I have kept it small to see if I like it and am capable! Right now I have:

6 tomatoes
2 basils...doing very well I think
9 pumpkins...I will pull all but one and give the rest away
6 sunflowers...will pull 3 of those and give the rest away
lots of onions

Already wish I had more room and could add more, but wife will let me annex only so much of her yard!

dianabauman

huskamute wrote:Ah, here in soggy Maine I just have peas, 3 inches up but could be putting in carrots, chard, onions etc as the weather lets up. I know some have planted already but in my experience seeds can rot and you have to start all over again. If all is in by the end of the month we should be just fine! Gives us plenty of time after the ground thaws to work in compost etc.!

How do you post pix by the way?
You can create a free account on photobucket.com and upload your pictures to that site. Once uploaded, they will give you the img code to cut and paste into your reply. They automatically show up. Hope this helps. :)

This is my second year gardening and I absolutely love it. I've joined a community garden in my neighborhood and have met wonderful people. Last week I harvested my radishes and they turned out great! I currently have onions, just replaced the radishes with eggplant seeds. (We'll see how that goes), romaine lettuce, green peppers, banana peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes, and peas. Everything looks great so far. I just purchased some Sea Magic to feed my tomatoes and peppers. I heard it does wonders! Hopefully next year I'm going to double my space and try to grow some watermelons. :lol:

s p a r k l e
Newly Registered

This is my first year of gardening and so far I'm growing radishes, rocket, lettuces, kale, beetroot, shalottes, summer & winter squash, courgette, purple carrots, tomatoes & french beans.

Going well so far although a lot of seedlings got killed in the hail storms last weekend. I harvested my first corgette yesterday which is impressive considering how bad the weather has been in UK!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well right now my veg garden is a sea of Pink Pomegranate popping corn and Andean Blue Corn as well as a plethora of beans, Brazillean Snow Peas (4-5 inches long, big and fat. Unlike those pititful things that you get in the supermarket)

Summer Squash, cukes, winter squash, 8 blueberry plants, 3 ground cherry plants, Primulas, Heather, Marigolds, Cosmos and I've to put in: Foxgloves, Baby Blue Eyes and.... (I can't remember the other one.. oh yeay, more Marigolds). These are all still in the greenhouse.

And of course I have my usualy infestation of Morning Glory. :roll:

Oh and yeah, and the standing crop of Raspberries. Love those guys! Absolutely love em!

Franco

Grey wrote:Hi Boomer - welcome to the forum!
I have planted my usuals this year - eggplant, squash, roma tomatoes. Dill, Basil, purple Basil, tricolor sage (well, I purchased that one), oregeno, thyme, cilantro, lavender and rosemary. Parsley & sage are still good from last year, I'm actually letting them bloom as sage blooms are just lovely and I've never seen parsley bloom. When they're done I'll give them a good haircut.
Botanically eggplant, squash, and tomatoes are considered fruits.
A fruit is a ripened ovum of a plant. The Supreme Court says that tomatoes are vegetables because there are no taxes on fruits so it's more costly to import a veggie.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Botanically speaking, tomatoes are a fruit because they are the seed bearing portion of the plant that is made from soft tissues. At least that is my take, I'm curious as to what the definition of a fruit is, I'll look that up.

Franco

A fruit doesn't necessarily mean is it seed bearing, I think. I know it is a ripened ovum

Madzaboy
Newly Registered

I am growing 14 varieties of hot peppers, four varieties of cabbage, broccoli, 10 varieties of tomatoes, three rows of beets, danvers carrots, bush beans, fava beans, lettuce, and swiss chard.

farmgirl

This is from the fairchild garden web site concerning fruit:
Classifying Fruit
I. Definition of a Fruit
Forget everything you think you think you know about fruit! Much of it is incorrect. Many things we call vegetables are fruits. Many things we call berries are not berries at all. Nuts and grains are fruits as well, but not all the things we call nuts are true nuts!
The scientific definition of a fruit is any structure that develops from a fertilized ovary and contains seeds of the plant. All fruits come from the ovaries of a flower. Therefore, many things that we consider to be “vegetablesâ€

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”