Tater
Cool Member

If you had 3 acres...

what vegetables and varieties of what would you plant?
I am gathering my seed order for spring and beginning to think of summer order. Am in Ga. What I grow goes to local farmers markets. There is such a diverse group here I thought I getting your input and experience would be "helpful'' If you suggest it i will plant it-Tate

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'd finally start some corn...

HG
Scott Reil

Tater
Cool Member

What kind?

rootsy
Green Thumb

IFSI Xtra Tender 2170, 2573 or 2673...

soil
Greener Thumb

id start a food forest.
For all things come from earth, and all things end by becoming earth.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

more quantity of all the things I do grow (e.g. maybe 12 tomato plants instead of 6, more varieties -- and no I don't know what those varieties would be, but I'd try some heirlooms, if I had that kind of space).

Plus corn, beans, melons, some fruit and nut trees, more berries, maybe even a little patch of grains (I saw a recent post about triticale rye which I would love to try if I had that kind of space). Potatoes, but I am going to grow some of those this year for the first time anyway (yukon gold).

(what do I grow -- raspberries, strawberries, rhubarb, asparagus, tomatoes, peppers, onions, swiss chard, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, sometimes winter squash (when it volunteers!) sometimes carrots, a whole bunch of herbs. This year I'm ordering a dwarf blueberry for container. Plus a ton of flowers and a large native woodland shade plants garden, the whole back half of the lot. Not too bad for 1/3 acre? )

GardenGeek
Cool Member

If you are asking me, i am planning to plant some purple broccoli, Radishes, spring onions and Spinach in this Spring.

Summer is a bit far away so i have plenty of time to think, but last time i did grow cucumbers, eggplants, green chillies and sweet peas.
I am really excited about this time. What about you? :twisted:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Amazing MG, really cool...

I've been partial to Butter and Sugar and Silver Queen takes a long time but tastes great... but...

I think if all I had was three acres and I wanted to feed a lot of folks I'd do the Three Sisters, corn planted native style with beans and squash. Probably throw some purselane and lambs quarters in between, plant around it with pasture rose and thorny berries (and maybe some paw paw and hazelnut) to keep out the critters...

While we're dreaming... :D

HG
Scott Reil

applestar
Mod

Top on my list is...
:idea:) keep chickens
next maybe alpaca
... oh, did you say vegetables? :>

Oh, alright -- Giant pumpkins. :() :-()

Tater
Cool Member

thanks so much! I found this site last night. Not sure how much the italian translate to our normal varieties.
https://www.italianseedandtool.com/
I'm working on the list now. Last year I grew "farm food" but will be selling at more diversified markets this year so the varietals are great. Thanks so much tater

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

In order (Somewhat)

Tomatoes (many varietys)
Potatoes (Irish and sweet)
Corn (three sisters style)
Beans
Peas
Garlic
Lettuce (including Spinach and Chard)
Onions
Peppers
Melons (difering varietys)
Zuchinni
Pumpkins
Etc.

Also Strawberries, raspberries, some fruit trees and whatever else I could fit. All while being intercropped and companioned with natives. I wouldn't have to mow I'll tell you that. :lol:

Toil
Greener Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Amazing MG, really cool...

I've been partial to Butter and Sugar and Silver Queen takes a long time but tastes great... but...

I think if all I had was three acres and I wanted to feed a lot of folks I'd do the Three Sisters, corn planted native style with beans and squash. Probably throw some purselane and lambs quarters in between, plant around it with pasture rose and thorny berries (and maybe some paw paw and hazelnut) to keep out the critters...

While we're dreaming... :D

HG
[img]https://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad137/toilpics/IMG_0024.jpg[/img]

last summer, I planted late for some reason, and got very lucky. This patch produced very well in the corn department. The squashes were decimated by the three pronged invasion. Beans were ok but not that tasty. Compost on cardboard.

Just a little bit of space produced quite a nice take using this technique, using very little effort (the seed sowing can be time consuming). So I imagine with half an acre... :shock:
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Toil, is that corn actually setting with that few plants?

Did you hand pollinate?

Very nice...

HG
Scott Reil

crobi13

I would have more chickens (I have 3 now).

For fruit I would plant:

Strawberries
Raspberries
Blackberries
Grapes
Blueberries
Watermellon
Canteloupe

For veggies:
Corn
Potatoes
Tomatoes
Peppers (Bell & Jalepeno)
Carrots
Cucumbers
Onions
Garlic
Broccoli
Lettuce

I would also have an herb garden with:
Chives
Dill
Basil
Oregano
Cilantro
Charlette
Wife, Mother, Gardner, Cook, Quilter, Banker and Tupperware Lady

Toil
Greener Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Toil, is that corn actually setting with that few plants?

Did you hand pollinate?

Very nice...

HG
I didn't do anything, I just planted it close and followed a three sisters diagram. My first corn! Just way too easy. I got the variety from johnny's. early something.

It was rough, because I grew the corn for my wife, and she was in afghanistan while it was producing. I saved her the last ears, but two day old corn is just not the same.

It's true what they say, you have to pick it when the water's boiling.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

applestar
Mod

HG, I only plant corn in tiny patches (blocks) and short rows of 10~12 at a time due to shortage of space and because I'm mostly indulging the kids (and me! :wink:). What I do is bend the tassles as far down to the silks as I can and shake (mid-morning~noonish, after dews are dried) I admit the size of the ears are nothing to write home about but they're usually fully pollinated. (I just need to work up to being more lavish with the fertilizing -- haven't been taking the "heavy feeder" thing as seriously as I should.) Have even successfully kept sweet corn and popcorn separated by planting on opposite sides of the house. We're eating popcorn now. :()

Definitely go with the Three/Four/Five Sisters (I've always done the Corn, beans, cuke/squash/pumpkin, and sunflowers -- in the future will be adding the traditional 4th sister as the 5th -- Cleome). I guess you're talking 6th/7th sisters of Lambs Quarters and Purslane. Big family :lol:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

One case where the more the merrier definitely applies...

HG
Scott Reil

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”