a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I bought flowers from them and they all sprouted with ease, but peat pots and Texas heat killed everything so I can' comment on how well they grew. I'll give them another go, but as far as fruits and vegetables go, I'm gonna spend a little more one them so I can have heirlooms. But, wally world has USDA Organic Seeds from Ferry Morse for $2, and it's enough seeds for 2-3 years for me.

wolfie

ok Dono, I can't wait any longer for you to pick me up! I am packing my dog in the car and heading to Wally World. Gonna take him for a walk while we are out LOL
And will let ya'll know what I got when I get back!

wolfie

ok I'm back! I bought 32 packs WHEW! I couldn't find them at first and started to panic LOL had to ask the clerk where they were!

Here is the loot I got:

3 Sweet Banana Pepper
5 Marigold
2 Eggplant
2 autumn beauty Sunflower
2 lemon queen sunflower
2 sweet basil
1 grand rapids lettuce
2 iceberg lettuce
3 black seeded simpson lettuce
1 waltham butternut squash
3 detroit dark red beets
2 Hungarian hot yellow wax
2 grand bell mix pepper
3 jalapeno peppers

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Oh my... We have some seed addicts here (and that would include me) :wink:

I'm happy to report the progress on the $0.20 "Italian Mixture". Seeded in the evening of 02/14/2010, in less than 48 hours we have massive germination:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010saladmixItalianMixture2016/790113550_9JXgT-L.jpg[/img]

Worth it? So far - indeed! Will see what it taste like :roll:

Regards,
D

wolfie

I'm jealous D!!!

Did you have it on a heating pad??

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Shan,

Nope, not on those, no heat pad... Just watered the soil-less mix, sprinkled half of the pack, lightly covered with the fine seed starting mix, misted the mix, covered the pot with clear plastic wrap. Tomorrow - onto the window sill it goes, to join the other two 24" window pots.'

I tell you, fresh cut greens every day for dinner, while 24" of snow still on the ground - nice!!!

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Wolfie if my math is right that cost you 6.60 plus tax not bad huh! Oh I came by I couldn't find your house at first I called and called, finally found it but you weren't there. :lol: I'll catch you next time.

D_V if you go to my UnOfficial seed starting thread you see some (not nearly as sexy as your's,) pics of my tom sprouts, they are just baby's as of now. I think I might go sing them a song or something to calm them down.

P.S. D_V could you for once take a bad picture, you make us look bad. :P :mrgreen:

wolfie

$6.40 plus tax, $6.74 to be exact LOL
I don't think I have enough room to start em all tho LOL but sure will do my best to get going!

I finally put heating pads under my 2 sets of 72 pellet racks, I keep my house at about 55 during the day and 40 at night, and I think it is just too cold for them. Nothing has sprouted yet... hoping it isn't too late for these guys... hopefully the heat will help!!

If not, was a learning experience and will start again, not like I don't have enough seeds LOL

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

wolfie wrote: If not, was a learning experience and will start again, not like I don't have enough seeds LOL
That's a good attitude I have to keep telling myself that.

Though I started practicing late last summer.

applestar
Mod

wolfie wrote:I finally put heating pads under my 2 sets of 72 pellet racks, I keep my house at about 55 during the day and 40 at night, and I think it is just too cold for them. Nothing has sprouted yet... hoping it isn't too late for these guys... hopefully the heat will help!!
Sometimes I find I've already posted some pertinent info for another thread:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112267#112267

Hope that helps. Good luck to all of us! :D
my tom sprouts, they are just baby's as of now. I think I might go sing them a song or something to calm them down.

Gixx, don't scare the children. :lol:
Last edited by applestar on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

wolfie wrote:$6.40 plus tax, $6.74 to be exact LOL
I don't think I have enough room to start em all tho LOL but sure will do my best to get going!

I finally put heating pads under my 2 sets of 72 pellet racks, I keep my house at about 55 during the day and 40 at night, and I think it is just too cold for them. Nothing has sprouted yet... hoping it isn't too late for these guys... hopefully the heat will help!!

If not, was a learning experience and will start again, not like I don't have enough seeds LOL
Goodness, I thought I was probably the only one on this forum who likes cold weather. I don't think I could handle 55/40 temps in my house. Seems the easiest thing for wolfie to grow is ice-cycles. :D

Ted

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:
my tom sprouts, they are just baby's as of now. I think I might go sing them a song or something to calm them down.

Gixx, don't scare the children. :lol:
:lol:

I's been 4 days since the sprout on the "Italian Mixture" and seems that all doing very well:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010saladmixItalianMixture2020/792632142_toRme-XL.jpg[/img]

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010saladmixItalianMixture2202/792632071_KqoMP-XL.jpg[/img]

Looks like $0.20 could go a long way (actually $0.10, since this is only 1/2 pack)

Regards,
D

wolfie

D, I think I am in love.... with your pictures of course!

charlie@vt

I planted American seed Sweet Basil (20 cents) @ Wal Mart. I planted outside on June,2 in full sun. The package contained 37 seeds ( I counted ) 8 seedlings came up in 4 days. I transplanted at about 2.5" tall and lost 1.
Well those 7 plants produced like crazy through thelast week of Aug.
I can not complain 20 cents.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I didn't post it but I went to Wally world 2 times last week. Take a wild guess what I might have came home with. Come on think hard now.

It starts with 20?! :?

Alan in Vermont

The wife and I stopped at Wally World tonight and bought a bunch of twenty cent packages. 32 packs plus a few Burpee seeds at $1-1.50. Not done buying by any stretch but this is a good start. Cleaned them out of Table Queen acorn squash and will need more. I have to stretch out my plantings on them to get as much of a season as possible. Local restaurant has an order in for 500 or more squash so I need to get them in as early as possible and try to keep them coming until first frost.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”