gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Starter greenhouses with peat pellets?

I just bought a Ferry-Morse starter/greenhouse it has peat pellets in it. I know that peat pots are not good to use from listening to everyone and my own bad experiences with them as well.

Should I use the pellets or fill the cells with a good starter mix? I mainly picked it up for the tray not so much for the pellets. But crunch time is coming fast and furious. Just got back from Lowe's they are gearing up for spring and that warms my heart, if only the sun would come out and warm my soil it would all be good.:)

I noticed Toil said in a thread lately they work better upside down. Would you care to elaborate on the reasoning for this please. Not to question your beliefs just wondering if I should do this myself. Thanks :D

Toil
Greener Thumb

When you question my beliefs, I have a chance to be wrong. Even though my male ego hates being wrong, it is necessary and healthy. I like to say this often. If I don't, I revert. And quick.

I say upside down because sometimes the roots get stuck in the mesh, despite jiffy's claims. The pellet should still hold together, and you just scoop it up. Skip the step where you loosen the "top".

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Dono,

Which one did you get? Then have 3 different versions if I remember correctly:

$32.99 with heat pad (72 individual #7 pellets)
$19.99 brown plastic cells with mini pellets and moisture mat
$6.99 no cells, just 72 #7 pellets

And yes, I hear you, seeds are there, pots and other gardening goodies - indeed, getting warmer just by looking at the section! Stop by at least once a week (and somehow come home with another packet of seeds every time) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards,
D

Toil
Greener Thumb

Can I say this?

Johnnys selected seeds dot com. You will not be disappointed.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Oh, I do use them, they are a great source, and have seeds from them and other specialty suppliers of rare/unique varieties for tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, cukes and squash.

But - basics, such as mesculine mixes, radishes, basil and other herbs that we use a lot over year - all come mostly from the local stores.

Regards,
D

Toil
Greener Thumb

Just making sure!

I love ogling the soil block machines.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

DV I got the 72 cell no moisture mat with 36 mm pellets. And Yes I do go there once a week AT LEAST myself and yes I always come home with something. Today I just got some Peat moss for a new bed I will be getting ready. I have been going every week to get something fertilizer or pots or bird seed, (Doh I was going to get some more bird seed today and forgot.) etc. It makes it less of financial burden getting it little by by little now instead of all at once when spring is going hard and heavy.
Last edited by gixxerific on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Duh_Vinci wrote: But - basics, such as mesculine mixes, radishes, basil and other herbs that we use a lot over year - all come mostly from the local stores.

Regards,
D

It was so hard not to pick up seeds today I was looking at flower seeds as well. We are so bad! :lol:

Toil
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:
And TOIL sorry not meaning to start anything :D I just have never used one of these before and wanted to know the secrets. I do respect your opinion on here.
yup. The best way to respect someone's opinion is to verify. Please don't stop. That's real respect. And so is not holding back for fear of being wrong.

Please put any negative thoughts away. Take down your apology. And PLEASE "start something" good, like your question, as often as possible. here, there, everywhere! It's spring (well, spring spring- or winter fall). Let's make this place buzzzzz!

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Toil wrote:Just making sure!

I love ogling the soil block machines.
LOL Just so happens, when I'm getting to start another batch of greens, I don't feel like ordering online, it's more of a "in the moment" - let's get something now!
gixxerific wrote:DV I got the 72 cell no moisture mat with 36 mm ...
Dono, so what you have is this:

[img]https://www.ferry-morse.com/products/hires/301.jpg[/img]

Where there are no individual plastic cells to fill up?

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Duh_Vinci wrote:
gixxerific wrote:DV I got the 72 cell no moisture mat with 36 mm ...
Dono, so what you have is this:

[img]https://www.ferry-morse.com/products/hires/301.jpg[/img]

Where there are no individual plastic cells to fill up?

Regards,
D
Yes. Now that I Look at I guess you really wouldn't call the little 'holes' cells. I got this a few weeks ago it was all they had at the time. Now they have all kinds of cool stuff. :)

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Man, this is the liveliest I've seen this forum in months! Hibernating, I know :P

Dono, these work fine, us the pellets since you have them! 2 seeds per, to keep the stronger of two... What I liked about these, since the pellets are individual, and various seeds sources and varieties may give you germination as much as a week a part, as soon as the seedlings sprouted, I moved them directly under the grow light to avoid extreme legginess... At the first full true leaf stage - into the larger pots, but I always removed the netting at that point. Not sure if it was needed, but I did it anyway...

Regards,
D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”