Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Winter "mini garden" for the winter

While I'm impatiently waiting for the spring, I started to utilize the window sills.

"Cut and Come Again" greens mix:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010mseculinemix0124/772122954_uan4i-XL.jpg[/img]

Some herbs - various basil, cilantro, dill:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010windowherbs0124/772132969_AzSuU-L.jpg[/img]

More of the greens:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010mseculinemix10124/772123084_q4V86-XL.jpg[/img]

Anyone else grows anything indoors/window sills in the winter?

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have been growing some lettuce inside all winter, albeit in my cold basement with lights. Everyday, almost, I wish I had a some South facing windows. The only ones I have are in the kids rooms and I know what would happen if I put plants in their rooms, they would be on the floor.

It's about seed starting time for me so everything I have will have to go in the compost. I have a aphid/fungus gnat problem I can't seem to get rid of and I don't want that on my seedlings/starters.

And as usual you come correct with some awesome pics, what would we do without you. :D

applestar
Mod

I think it's the attention to detail like matching green pots and clear plates. What are they, actual flower pots or containers with holes?

Also, the first photo? I tried to scroll down to see what's on the 2nd shelf before I realized what I was doing! :lol:

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Dono - I can just picture, you walking into the room just to find nice crumbles of dirt allover the carpet! I too wish I had a true South facing windows, but instead - just the afternoon light, where the kitchen window (herbs) gets only the morning sun...

Apple - the second shelf (not in the pictures) - house plants, nothing edible there :P Those green pots for the herbs, are actually soup/salad bowls from Target. 4 for $1.99... I was walking in the store when I saw a wall of colors - come in orange, red, yellow and that green. Just thought since these are semi transparent, the light from the window will "lighten" them up and add more color during the dull winter :roll: Holes drilled at the bottom, and on the clear plates from the dollar store.

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

You would be right picturing the dirty carpet DV.

As I have said before here. This will be my first true year of starting most everything by seed. But 5-6 yrs. ago I tried starting a bunch of seeds at my last house. I had 2-3 trays of seedlings that were doing great. They were on a shelf in my PC room by the window, my dog went in to investigate and well you get the idea next thing you know everything is upside-down on the carpet. :eek: :evil: I had to buy transplants that year. Unfortunately I hadn't tried again till this year. :oops: :(

My only usable windows are west and north. :(

crobi13

I started a few onions in large pots in my basement with a lamp directly above & I'm going to start some potatoes in 5 gal buckets under the light as well. I don't know how well the potatoes will do but I'm gonna give it a go.

applestar
Mod

Duh_Vinci wrote:Those green pots for the herbs, are actually soup/salad bowls from Target. 4 for $1.99
Fantastic! In other words, be on a look-out for gardening possibilities everywhere you go. CHECK! :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

crobi13 wrote:I started a few onions in large pots in my basement with a lamp directly above & I'm going to start some potatoes in 5 gal buckets under the light as well. I don't know how well the potatoes will do but I'm gonna give it a go.
The potatoes will work, I have seen it all over the net. I put one in a bucket in early winter last year and it started getting too big so I put in in the compost pile. It was just an experiment and if it were warmer I would have put it outside but it would be taking over my basement about right now. :lol: I am going to grow a few in some buckets this year just to see how they do to fruition.

crobi13

Excellent, gizzerific. Thanks!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I do not have a green house and don't want to turn the living room into one. Gotta be growing something though, so on Jan 1 I put two tomato seeds in a six inch pot and set it in the window. They came up and are growing. The variety is Celebtrity. We will see what they do?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have seeds & plants in pots in a kitchen window. This is the first time I have grown plants in the house in 25 years.

The small pot is a seed test to make sure I have good seeds that will germinate before wasting time planting them in the garden. I have 3 Lima Bean seeds, 3 Blue Lake Bush Bean Seeds, 3 Navy Bean seeds, 3 watermelon seeds, 3 cantaloupe seeds, 3 corn seeds, 3 okra seeds, 1 butternut squash seed, 1 acorn squash seed, if they all grow I know seeds are good. Seeds have only been planted 2 days nothing is growing yet.

The other pot is about 60 or so small green onions. We buy these onions at the grocery store I decided the best way to keep these onions fresh is grow them in a pot then pull them up to eat as we need them. I got these planted a week late wife put them in the refrigerator and I forgot about them for a week before I got them planted. They look a bit wilted but they will get better soon they already have roots an 1" long.
Attachments
100_9152.JPG

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”