pepper4
Green Thumb

celery

I never see too much mention of celery on the forum. Last year I bought plants from the nursery and it did pretty good. This year I thought maybe I would start from seed. My question is should I start it indoors or is it something I can just sow outdoors? Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We don't talk about celery as much because it isn't one of the easiest.

It doesn't like frost, it doesn't like hot weather (much above 80 it gets wilty) but in between there it needs about 5 months of good weather.

You would want to start it indoors, the seed is very tiny and takes about 3 weeks of pampering to sprout. So if you are going to do it I would start soon.

Tater
Cool Member

If you like celery you have to try to grow it! You'll never eat store celery again..
We tried it early last spring for the first time ever and it did take a while to take off.
We started it in the house with a west facing window with lots of natural light. Now remember we live in Ga. once it was big enough we moved it into a 4" pot and let it grow. We then moved it outside to the west side of a building and by July and August it was taking off enough to sell and continued to produce till our killing frost. I repeated this in my greenhouse in the August and it did well and has stopped growing in the field so we mulched it and are waiting to see. The red celery is really cool looking as well. Another experiment. Tater

pepper4
Green Thumb

Thanks everyone for your help. I will get my seeds planted this week-end. I'll try it this way and if there's no sucess there's always the nursery. The ones I got there last year did pretty good but I wanted to try it myself this year. I like a challenge. Tater.. I use alot of celery. What I grew last year I chopped up, froze and used for soups, stuffing ect. I never saw red celery. That would be kind of neat to try. Does it have the same taste as your traditional supermarket celery? Garden5 I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Tater
Cool Member

I found it stronger and the leaves are great to cook with. if you use a lot I would try for 10 to 20 plants. 10 first and then a few weeks later 10 more

nes
Green Thumb

I'm attempting celery this summer for the first time :). By my calculations I'm starting it the week of March 8-14th.
(our frost date is the week of may 3-9)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”