His_Einna

Growing peppers in the UK

I haven't had a huge amount of success growing peppers last year, although I got some results. Any suggestions for how to do it without a greenhouse?

His_Einna

His_Einna

Thanks a lot...I'll give them a shot :-)

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I would suggest tunnels, also plastic on the ground.

To warm my ground early, I put black plastic down, with holes cut in it to place plants through... the black absorbs the heat.

Then I make a frame and put a clear plastic tunnel over it, a cloche that can cover the entire bed. This also absorbs more heat and directs it to the soil.

You do need air flow so when you aren't worried about freezing temps, cut some slits in your plastic to allow airflow.
Here I have to cover the black plastic with mulch, or it will cook my plants roots when the temps hit 100*f.

I have seen beautiful and very productive gardens with melons, peppers, all kinds of heat loving plants raised with tunnels in the northern areas of the USA... I sure don't see why that wouldn't work for you.

You might even make the sides so you can just roll them up for airflow and down to hold heat on cooler days.

I am gradually building permanent tunnels for all of my garden beds, I will use them for frost protection in the early season, and my tunnels are chicken wire, so they are animal protection at all times, then in the heat of summer, they are shade, then come fall, they go back to frost duty.
I can even use these tunnels as 'chicken tractors' and put the chickens or ducks inside and keep them on the one bed for a couple days to dig and fertilize or eat slugs etc. Then just remove the poultry.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I think you will have to pray for a very good summer over here to get good results from outdoor peppers in the UK.
Down here in the south you may be lucky if your garden is sheltered and the summer is a hot one.
If you could rig up a shelter from clear strong plastic, rather like a beach wind break , around the plants then that should give you a better chance.
You will need to give them some support with cane or string as the branches are very brittle and will snap in windy conditions.
We have grown them successfully in high sided cold frames and the rewards are worth the effort.

Jona

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”