twinbabies2000

Buying seeds

Hello all,

I'm wondering where the best place is to purchase seeds at? We have a Home Depot here, but lack in the nursery department. I can go into Portland, OR if needed, but wanted to get some feedback on places or even good brand names of seeds.

Thank you

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Here's a fairly extensive discussion from last fall:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18843

Cynthia

Urban_wombat

I guess in the USA your very lucky..in WA the choice is very limited and when I browse the internet and see many seeds I wouldn't mind giving a go.. the message is NOT TO WA

RosieRenee

Twinbabies, I am also in Washington and have heard about Irish Eyes seed company, located in Eastern Washington, partially based on a Seattle Times article last year. Their web-site is https://www.irisheyesgardenseeds.com/index.php. I ordered from them for the first time recently and haven't received my order yet, so I can't testify as to their quality, but they did feature some "short season" seeds good for Western Washington, to even include watermelons, along with a large selection of other seeds. I also like the fact that they are somewhat local. I have also had luck at various small-town farm supply stores over the past years, so you may just want to wander into the next one you see. Good luck with your garden (and beer works great on slugs here!)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I would look at the link Cynthia put up. Yeah it was my post but still....

You don't need to go any further in that thread than the 2nd post (Cynthia's). I am very happy with Baker Creek and Seed Saver's Exchange. I have test planted seeds from both and so far 100% germination with healthy plants in an indoor greenhouse.

The only other thing I would is as RosiRenee said and try to find one more local. If they actually grow there own product it would be acclimated to your region.

But a reputable company should not give you any problems whatsoever.

Good luck and have fun while your doing it.

Dono

p.s. if you are planting a lot by seed I would stay away from Lowe's and Home Depot. They may have decent seed but they will not even begin to touch the variety you can find from the above mentioned or those of their ilk.

Farmer Dave

There are a lot of good seed companies that you can find on the internet, I like "seeds of change" and "territorial" best, abundant life is good too. These seed companies have a good selection of organic seeds or in the case of seeds of change all organic seeds. They have a lot heirloom seeds as well as
open pollinated and some good hybrids too.
These companies also have garden supplies and are happy to send you a catalog.
Try growing a few of your own save seeds is fun too.
Happy planning, ordering and planting
:wink:

Farmer Dave

syntheticbutterfly
Cool Member

I recommend Thompson and Morgan seeds, they deliver internationally.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

My favorite seed company from over the years is:
Pinetree (Superseeds)
I also like Le Jardin du Gourmet (artistic gardens) for their tiny sampler packs of .35 seeds... you only get 3 or so seeds, but enough to give it a try.
New companies that I tried this year and liked are:
Seedman.com
Sustainable seed Co.
J.L. Hudson

-----Heirloom Acres-----
This one, is borderline. The selection is great for me, the people are very friendly, however, they are not efficient in handling orders, nor are they good about handling substitutions or making sure that you get what you paid for. Kind of careless in their way of conducting business.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I would rather, from a personal viewpoint, that you hadn't even mentioned HA. :( They charged my credit card TWICE for the same order, couldn't manage to credit the $ back, took four weeks to send the order when their website STILL promises one- to two-week delivery.

On at least one feedback site, there are stories much worse than mine. Some have even taken them to court because of the $ involved.

Fairly painful experiences all around.

Cynthia

twinbabies2000

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I have lots to research now. I'm happy that I don't have to go to Home Depot or any other hardware store for seeds.

Have a wonderful weekend.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

for what it's worth Baker Creek and Seed Savers both times I ordered from them the seeds were here within a week. Bakers even gives you a free packet of seeds with every order. My 2 free packets were Cilantro and "Marvel of the four seasons" the latter being a lettuce that looks promising. The free packets are full too not just little samplers of a few seeds.

Whatever you go with I'm sure you will do fine, well except HA it seems.
:shock:

:edit: one more thing my suggested choices are cheaper than the others I have checked out. With baker being the cheapest.
Last edited by gixxerific on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

I agree with Dono on Baker Creek and Seed Savers. Great sources for quality seeds and service, and been around for a while!

If you want to try to grow some heirloom tomatoes, I would recomend [url]https://knapps-fresh-vegies.netfirms.com/index.html[/url] Smaller scale farm, and a lady name Carol who is very passionate about growing and preserving the varieties. And a great thing about her seeds, you can get smaller "sample" packs for $1.25 (15-25 seeds), but that is more than enough if you want to try few varieties with out spending too much on the larger packs...

Regards,
D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Yep. Baker Creek and Seed Savers Exchange--good people, good seeds, good service. :D

Cynthia

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Another seed company is [url=https://www.reimerseeds.com/]Reimer Seeds[/url].

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”