gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

will these spuds be okay to plant? (Pics)

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03269.jpg[/img]

These are from my garden last year. I got them from Lowe's and I'm sorry I don't remember the variety. They have been in that box since I pulled them last year. They have some huge leads of of them but the spuds themselves are getting pretty dried up. Just wondering if it is too late for these to make a successful planting. There is still another couple of month's before they would go in too, so they will be even more used up by than. IS there something I can do to them or should I just toss them and get some fresh plants this spring?

Thanks

Dono

applestar
Mod

I'm going to leave the question of whether they can be planted two months later for the experts.

If it were me, though, being me :wink:, and knowing you have that basement, I would try planting some of them in a largish container -- maybe a cardboard box inside a storage tote with bark mulch or something for drainage and keep them going to see what would happen. I would then carefully decant the whole thing out in the garden when it's warm enough and pile more mulch on it. Remember, spuds don't need sun (you keep burying the stem) until they've grown up quite a bit. 8)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I thought about that too AS. I actually have a bucket I drilled some holes in and had a Sweet potato in it LATE last year just to see how it would do. I saw all the people around growing spuds in buckets and other non-conventional growing mediums. I tossed it in the compost in Dec or so because it was getting way to big for basement growing anymore. 8) I just wasn't sure if it would get too big again by planting time. I guess the only way to find out is to try. Can't hurt anything. I kinda forgot about them and looked at them the other day. Needless to say I was shocked to see how they had grown. I had the box covered up on top of the fridge.

I still have a bunch of little sweets from last year. I just put one of them in a glass of water to see if it would start some slips. So much to do.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”