Toil
Greener Thumb

oh hey thanks, forgot about those.

I guess this might be a good season after all!

applestar
Mod

Days to Maturity for De Cicco broccoli is 48 days. Other brassicas are about 60~70 days.
Asian turnips -- about 45 days.
Oh, and spinach... well any of the leafy greens really, can be eaten as baby greens. And beet greens and Swiss chard.
If you're moving, I don't suppose you want to plant some strawberries? They say not to pick the first year's crop, but I always have and not really noticed a deficiency in later growth.
Concentrate on snow peas and snap peas. For variation, try [url=https://kitchengardenseeds.com/cgi-bin/catview.cgi?_fn=Product&_category=26]Golden India Edible Pea Pod[/url] -- yellow flat pods eaten like snow peas. 60~70 days.

Toil
Greener Thumb

we put in some strawberries last year. This year they should produce. It's a communal property, so the work is not lost, just passed on.

You have me very interested in that broccoli now. It's a true broccoli? does it breed true as well? I am thinking I can do what you are doing, and start some inside.

along with the snow peas and snap peas, I am going to go nuts with these french garden peas I got from johnny's last year. They were unbelievably sweet, and the grew into bushes.

Zapatay

Toil - I did a search at Johnny's for the "french pea" you referred to below w/o success - Does it go by any other name?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

What about some determinate Tomatoes that could be grown in pots?

We moved a few years ago I believe it was July, we had a prob with the bank on a Friday and we were stuck in limbo for a weekend at my Mother in-laws house (long Story :twisted: ). I took a few tomatoes with me in pots that I dug out of the ground and they made it through the weekend in the back of my truck. I planted them at the new house in virgin soil they weren't super productive but I did have fresh tomatoes.

My point you could bring some stuff with you. If they were already potted that would be that much easier. Just an idea, Oh and good luck on the move, and DO NOT close at the end of the week if you can, trust me. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Toil
Greener Thumb

good idea gix, only we may not even be staying in the country. My wife needs to find a job, and we are moving to wherever that job is.

Zap, the variety is called "caselode". I said French because that sounds french to me! And I tell everyone they are french, as it prepares them for tasting something very very good, delicate, and complex. I should be more specific around gardeners though.

I did get them from Johnny's. They were quite prolific producers. And you can wait until the pods are almost bursting and they are still sweet. I did not support them.

Zapatay

Gracias, Toil ......

If fate brings you and family to Chicago - Help me garden

soil
Greener Thumb

I second the De Cicco broccoli, that stuff is real good.

Gerrie

I'm growing :Bush Beans
Sugar Snap peas
pole beans
snow peas
cabbage
brocoli rabe
basil
cilantro
cukes
tomatoes (four kinds)
five kinds of lettuce
parsley
arugula
Ca. wonder peppers
carrots
cilantro
dill
garlic
garlic dill
mint
oregano
leeks
onions-three kinds
pumpkins
swiss chard
radishes
zucchinni
patty pan squash
misc. flowers
radicchio
eggplant
strawberries
ancho peppers
athena cantelope

crobi13

WOW :shock: Gerrie, how much land do you have?
I'm jealous :lol:

Gerrie

We have nearly seven acres, but my garden plots are only 630 sq. ft. w/o paths. I sucession plant and follow bio intensive gardening as much as possible. I'll try to post pics (stop laughing everyone)[img]https://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/Gerrie_photos/Veggie%20Gardens/HeavenOnEarth008.jpg[/img] [img]https://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/Gerrie_photos/Veggie%20Gardens/OurTomatoesSept09003.jpg[/img] [IMG]https://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236[/I]

Gerrie

On the above photos, I put descrtions, but they didn't come up when I moved the images from photobucket. This is the same garden plot in both pictures, one when I was trying to kill the grass in the walkways with blk. olastic and the second of the lower garden with it's 25 tomato plants. I also tried to post a pic. of the other garden plot but it didn't transfer, not sure why, will try again.[img]https://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236[IMG]https://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/Gerrie_photos/Veggie%20Gardens/GardenandpetsJune09002.jpg[/img][img]https://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/Gerrie_photos/Veggie%20Gardens/GardenandpetsJune09003.jpg[/img]

This is the upper garden with just planted (last yr) sugar snap peas and strawberries. Lower part of it held later things, eggplant peppers and yellow zuccinni as well as basil and melons.
Last edited by Gerrie on Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Trust me no one's laughing, that is a great setup you have there all the way down to the triple bird house. Very nice I will be awaiting pictures of that in full swing this year,

Good luck

Dono

pepper4
Green Thumb

Gerri, I wish I had 1/3 if the room you got. Here in the city space is limited so you have to sometimes be creative. I am planting ........

Cabbage , cauliflower, celery which I already started in the house. I plan to grow, 3 types of onions, 2 types of radishes, bell peppers, cukes, bush beans and a couple tomato plants. I might try zuchinni this year also. Oh and garlic which I planted at the end of last fall.

Gerrie

Dono and Bambi, sorry for not responding sooner, my computer got a virus and crashed as I posted those pictures. That might have somethig to do with the typos and the spelling-couldn't possibly be MY fault, right?

I am thrilled to have the space and the land we have, believe me. We moved here from Tucson where it was pretty hard to grown anything in the veggie families and we lived in a townhouse with no property to speak of. I wil post pictures tomorrow if I can of my seedling setup. Thaks, both of you for your compliments. :flower:

donworden
Cool Member

These are the goodies I will be planting this year.

Nantes Coreless Carrots
Melody Spinach
Geraman Giant Radish
Golden Nugget Cherry Tomato
Burgess Early Salad Hybrid Tomato
Early Girl Hybrid tomato
Sweet Bell Pepper Mix
Fooled You Hybrid Jalepeno Pepper
Burgess Earli-Serve Green Bean
TopNotch Golden Wax Beans
Salad Bush Hybrid Cucumber
Minnesota Midget Cantaloupe
Yukon Gold Russet Potato
Yellow Onion Set
Red Onion Set
Shallots
Buttercrunch Lettuce
Eight Ball Zucchini
Vegetable Spaghetti
Pony Express Tomato
Super Red 80 f1 red cabbage
Mustard

The Pony Express tomato is because the Romas I put out 2 years ago just up and died within 4 weeks of planting...

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I tried living in the city a few times, arguing with landlords over whether or not I could fence the yard, to keep my kids off of the highway, and having to hide my garden where it couldn't be seen from the street. Awww those were the days... not. Those are the days that led to our buying our own land, and from there, we have not looked back. Whether it was a modest 5 acres of rocks, or woods... at least it was ours, and we could adjust in some way or other... pots if need be.

I saw some beautiful gardens on balconies, here somewhere... made me envious.

I plan to increase my garden. I believe it measures out at 1200' by 1100' but most of it is not in cultivation, just fenced for a garden. It once was a large garden and has simply gotten overgrown and not cleared, since it was no longer needed as the kids grew up.

But, I have less than 200' in beds, and don't really garden outside of the beds, other than my outdoor seedstarting table. And my garden cart that follows the sun, with the seedlings that are hardening off.

So, there is more than enough room... it is time and energy to increase it that is in short supply.

We have the goats pastured on the grassy knoll beside the pond, yes, with access to their barn due to this weather, but where they can eat the brush and help us clear it out. We are going to attempt some row gardening!

And I am seriously considering trying the rice in the pond edges... I might need cages to keep the ducks and geese out of it though... they just remembered how to fly... hmmm.

My goal for 2010 is a mere 25% of our eating and smoking needs being met by the garden. That doesn't sound like much, but with only 200 feet under cultivation, I have alot of work to do.

I have been monitoring our eating habits, so that I get a clear idea of what we eat alot of, and can plan accordingly.

I will grow small grains, root crops, cole crops, and lots and lots of tomatoes and peppers of all kinds... we eat alot of these.

As well as learning to grow mushrooms, and getting prepared for milking the Lamancha nannies, and preparing lots of cheese, yogurt etc.

Lots to do... and so little time... thanks to this snow keeping me inside...
We normally have 3 days of snow per year... In the last month, it seems like we have had 3 snow free days... gee whiz! And it was raining on those days. Just getting feed home from the feedstore dry is a challenge this year! And hay hauling is not possible. So, bags of leaves are called into service for bedding, what else can you do?

Did I mention that I hate winter, and I am extremely cold natured.. ?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

ozarklady,

I think I noticed in one of your previous posts you are growing tobacco. In your last post, you said you are growing 25% of your eating and smoking needs.

I always thought tobacco required special curing in order to achieve a mild flavor. How do you prepare your tobacco for use?

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”