donworden
Cool Member

Plantings this year

These are the goodies I will be planting this year.

Nantes Coreless Carrots
Melody Spinach
Geraman Giant Radish
Golden Nugget Cherry Tomato
Burgess Early Salad Hybrid Tomato
Early Girl Hybrid tomato
Sweet Bell Pepper Mix
Fooled You Hybrid Jalepeno Pepper
Burgess Earli-Serve Green Bean
TopNotch Golden Wax Beans
Salad Bush Hybrid Cucumber
Minnesota Midget Cantaloupe
Yukon Gold Russet Potato
Yellow Onion Set
Red Onion Set
Shallots
Buttercrunch Lettuce
Eight Ball Zucchini
Vegetable Spaghetti
Pony Express Tomato
Super Red 80 f1 red cabbage
Mustard

The Pony Express tomato is because the Romas I put out 2 years ago just up and died within 4 weeks of planting...

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I tried living in the city a few times, arguing with landlords over whether or not I could fence the yard, to keep my kids off of the highway, and having to hide my garden where it couldn't be seen from the street. Awww those were the days... not. Those are the days that led to our buying our own land, and from there, we have not looked back. Whether it was a modest 5 acres of rocks, or woods... at least it was ours, and we could adjust in some way or other... pots if need be.

I saw some beautiful gardens on balconies, here somewhere... made me envious.

I plan to increase my garden. I believe it measures out at 1200' by 1100' but most of it is not in cultivation, just fenced for a garden. It once was a large garden and has simply gotten overgrown and not cleared, since it was no longer needed as the kids grew up.

But, I have less than 200' in beds, and don't really garden outside of the beds, other than my outdoor seedstarting table. And my garden cart that follows the sun, with the seedlings that are hardening off.

So, there is more than enough room... it is time and energy to increase it that is in short supply.

We have the goats pastured on the grassy knoll beside the pond, yes, with access to their barn due to this weather, but where they can eat the brush and help us clear it out. We are going to attempt some row gardening!

And I am seriously considering trying the rice in the pond edges... I might need cages to keep the ducks and geese out of it though... they just remembered how to fly... hmmm.

My goal for 2010 is a mere 25% of our eating and smoking needs being met by the garden. That doesn't sound like much, but with only 200 feet under cultivation, I have alot of work to do.

I have been monitoring our eating habits, so that I get a clear idea of what we eat alot of, and can plan accordingly.

I will grow small grains, root crops, cole crops, and lots and lots of tomatoes and peppers of all kinds... we eat alot of these.

As well as learning to grow mushrooms, and getting prepared for milking the Lamancha nannies, and preparing lots of cheese, yogurt etc.

Lots to do... and so little time... thanks to this snow keeping me inside...
We normally have 3 days of snow per year... In the last month, it seems like we have had 3 snow free days... gee whiz! And it was raining on those days. Just getting feed home from the feedstore dry is a challenge this year! And hay hauling is not possible. So, bags of leaves are called into service for bedding, what else can you do?

Did I mention that I hate winter, and I am extremely cold natured.. ?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

ozarklady,

I think I noticed in one of your previous posts you are growing tobacco. In your last post, you said you are growing 25% of your eating and smoking needs.

I always thought tobacco required special curing in order to achieve a mild flavor. How do you prepare your tobacco for use?

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”