tedln
Super Green Thumb

Farmer Dave.

As stated "We have an alternate energy system ', would you please educate us a little about your alternate energy system. In this modern world we live in, low cost, available energy is the key to a sustainable life style. What are you doing?

I really like your web page.

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Ted I'm sure you know but the urban gardener 'could' plant for food 'if' they had the space. All you would need is a way to catch the rain which could be barrel or any sort of container and really any size. This is really the best water for your garden anyways.
(form "The Green Gardeners Guide) For every inch of rain that falls on a catchment area of 1,000 square feet (the typical size of a roof) approximately 600 gallons of water can be harvested.
This is something you should think about OzarkLady if you plan to go big time, let mother nature water your plants as well as store up her reserves.

I do envy all of you with lots of land and big farm plots. We just moved where we did a few years ago. It is NOT what I wanted but better than where we were. We looked and looked for (at least) 3 acre lots but just couldn't afford it. :( :cry: Heck we couldn't even find one with a wooded lot back lot in our price range. So farm on and and plant something for me please.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Dono,

Having a lot of space doesn't answer all the questions or solve all the problems. We have five acres, but I only utilize a small 25' X 25' fenced space for my garden. I think my intent is to see how much product I can produce in a small space. The small garden, well planned; can produce a lot of product at minimal cost in money, time, and labor. That is also why I grow in raised beds. It allows me to control the moisture, soil conditions, weeding, pests, planting, and harvesting much easier and better than row crop gardening.

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I hear ya Ted that was just in response to the water cost problem. I try to keep it as efficient as possible myself mean plant tight and get the most out of my small area.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”