jaredlet
Newly Registered

artichoke being attacked

I have been growing an artichoke for about a year now and it has been just starting to produce. Throughout the time I have been growing it, I have noticed the leaves would break and fall off when they got to be a decent size. I never figured out why until the other morning when I went to water it earlier than the usual time. I noticed right where the two biggest (bottommost) leaves were breaking there were about 4 snails, some small sugar ants, and a whole lot of those sow bugs sucking away at my plant. I was just wondering if anybody knew of a safe remedy for the pests, and if it is ok to use on edible veggies. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Jared

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

A copper strip around the plant will dispel any slugs, wire mesh also seems to work. I think that it was cinnamon that repels ants. As for the sow bugs, I'm not to sure.

jaredlet
Newly Registered

Thanks, ill give the cinnamon and copper a try, today I wrapped scotch tape around all the wounds hoping to deter the bugs for a while. Where should I wrap the copper around? Just around the stem or would it better around where they are feeding? The sow bugs are a big problem up here, they get into everything. If anyone knows of any remedies id really appreciate it. Thanks

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Geez, you'd think I'd be on the ball.

Try spraying the plant with a weekly dose of neem oil. You can also get neem in a soap spray. That will hopefully take care of the sow bugs. And a little salt on any slugs that you see will make short order of them and prevent them from feasting on your other plants.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”