Doravilledawg
Newly Registered

2010 Farmers Almanac Gardening Calendar.....useful?

I will be starting my first real vegetable garden this year and was wondering if the OFA gardening calendar would be at all useful for seed starting info / transplant dates or just something cute to hang on the wall. Anyone use or have one?

pepper4
Green Thumb

I really don't know if the Farmers Almanac is useful or not but my dad is now 82 has gardened for as long as I can remember and still is and he swears by it. His results are pretty good. Works for him I guess. :wink:

Doravilledawg
Newly Registered

Thanks guys. I did kind of figure that since it couldn't possibly be zone specific it might not be too usefull for what I need it for. I'll just use the fruit and vegetable book by Walter Reeves and write in the dates that I need.

Great forum here, I really enjoy all the information!

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

My dad gets one every year at christmas and he does not garden. This was the first year I though maybe I should look at it too, but I don't plan on using it for garden planning. It's chock full of ads, and the blips of articles aren't that usable or interesting from what I saw so far.

twinbabies2000

My mother in law gave me a 2008 farmers almanac and it's very interesting in reading, but pretty general in nature, definitely not zone specific.
I find it interesting reading, but can't see where it will help me with gardening very much.

Doravilledawg
Newly Registered

In my original post I meant to specify that I meant the actual 12 month calendar that they release, like the ones in the calender section in the book stores, next to the calendars of puppies, kittens, and fighter jets.

But I think the question was answered anyway, without being zone specific, it's just a folksy wall calender with some interesting tidbits.

Thanks!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”