Birddog

what does well in less than full sun?

I have only one spot on my property that gets full sun but for some reason I didn't use it last year but will this year. Last year I planted where a big willow tree blocked morning sun and the woods on the west side drew a shadow at around 3:00 in the afternoon - DUH! Most of my crops were successful anyway - cukes, zuccini, tomatoes, but the corn and melons were limited. I plan to move the corn and mellons to the full sun space this year.
My question is what kinds of veggies/ fruits can I plant in a less sunny spot (where my corn and melons were last year)? I've heard that rhubarb doesn't like a lot of sun.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You're correct about rhubarb. I haven't grown it, myself, as I don't like it, but my grandmother grew it where it received only morning sunlight.

In general, greens tend not to require quite as much light as other crops.

Usually, 6 to 8 hours of direct sunlight is considered full sun. If you successfully grew tomatoes in the area, I would say you probably have sufficient sunlight to grow just about anything there. Corn and melons might be among the few exceptions, but their failure to thrive could have been from lack of warmth or too short a growing season, too. (Sorry, but I failed to note where you're located.)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Rhubarb, raspberries, greens (ie lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, collard greens, etc), most of the early/ cool weather crops, e.g. broccoli, cauliflower, onions, carrots, peas, parsley, beets, brussels sprouts, leeks....

Most anything will grow, like your tomatoes, but will be less productive than in full sun. I have a strawberry patch that is in part shade. The plants do just fine, but the berry production is a lot less than it would be with more sun.

But the lettuce and spinach do really well and last longer not in full sun, don't bolt as fast.

jmoore

Great topic. I just finished an extention to my primary bed and it's up against a fence on the north side of my property. It will get less than full sun, so this is a perfect question for me too.

I bought some spinach to plant and have some peas left over from last year that I planted too late and they didn't do well. So both of those will be going in probably in Feb sometime. Fingers crossed for good production from them both.

Best of luck with your shady spot too.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Especially in Texas where it is presumably very hot and sunny a lot of the time, a lot of things, especially all those cool weather crops mentioned, will benefit from some shade. More true where you are than where I am. We all have to garden with local conditions in mind....

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”