Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

2010 Peppers to grow...

Last year I've started peppers seeds in March, and felt that I was way behind. Most plants went into the ground in May as a shorties. Right or wrong, going to try to winter new seedlings, considering that most are fairly slow growing indoors...

What's going in to the garden in 2010:

Sweet:

Giant Orange
Purple Beauty
Blushing Beauty
Quadrato d’Asti Giallo
Ariane Orange
Golden Summer
Red Marconi Giant
Golden Calwonder
Socrates X3R

Mild:

Mariachi
Pasilla Bajio
Ancho San Martin

Hot:

Casabella
Cowhorn

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010peppers1225/749442739_qjTAT-L.jpg[/img]

Still looking for few varieties with heat, but not scorching. Any recommendations on flavorful mild/medium heat peppers?

I would also like to hear about your plans for peppers varieties in 2010!!!

Regards,
D

Tater
Cool Member

I am assuming you are growing these in a heated space? or heating below? I am simply curious...I grow mainly for sale(2nd year market organic grower) and couldnt sell a hot pepper to save my life but bells sold all day long. I apologize for not having info to share but am very curious on your practice...tate

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Good morning Tate!

I've heard from the local growers same thing, hot peppers usually don't sell too well, plants/seedlings or the actual fruit, but bells are going all day long...

These are organic babies too. Espoma organic seed starting mix, with added worm casting.

Germination on the heating mat with the temperature of 82-83F. Once they emerge - under the timer grow light for 15 hours a day they go. At the height of 4" or so, I separate them, and transplant to 4" pots with matching 1020 trays for me, and the rest into 12 oz cups (for give away).

Back under the grow lights for 2 more weeks. After two weeks, first round of very diluted fertilizer, and then on to the to the metal rack in front of the large double south side window of the spare room, rotating the rack every day to ensure everybody gets their light.

Regards,
D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I start my bell pepper seeds under lights in my basement early in Feb. About like Duh_Vinci, on a heating pad, under lights that are on 16 hrs a day, just a few inches above the seedlings. I keep them under the lights until they are ready to go outside somewhere around mid-April, at which point they are pretty good sized little plants. (But they don't stay on the heating pad, which is only for germinating seedlings. Once the plants are big enough to transplant into pots, they come off the heating pad.)

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Rainbow,

What are your favorite bell peppers that you plant?

We just had dinner, got a bag of sliced Giant Orange from the freezer for a quick stir fry to go on the pasta, soooooooooo sweet and flavorful!!! Definitely favorite! It was terrific for stuffing too...

Regards,
D

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I like to grow the red and orange peppers. I also grow a few other kinds and some hot peppers. We put up a bunch of jars of hot peppers may be more than I eat in a year.

HotPooper
Newly Registered

Duh_Vinvi...I am also pretty new to growing hot peppers. (Although I will be growing a little bit hotter peppers.) I am VERY new to hot peppers (other than your usual jalepenos, etc) and have TRIED to do a little bit of research. Everyone sounds about right with their suggestions (from what I have researched) and I cant WAIT to try these methods myself!
I will try my best at keeping everyone informed how everything works...
List of pepper plants for this year:
Bhut Jolokia (ghost pepper)
Black Pearl
Black Cobra
Chocolate Habanero
White Habanero
Tepin peppers
Serrano
And jalepeno

Wish me luck!!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Seasoning/Chile Peppers:

Ancho 101
Pasilla Bajio
Guajillo
Chimayo
Sonora or Big Jim

Hot peppers:

Peruvian Pointer
Peruvian white habanero
Cumari/yellow jellybean --hotter and earlier and more productive than tepin/pequin
Hot Lemon
Yellow Bumpy
Aji Cristal
Red Savina
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Del Arbol
Fish

Ornamental:
Fish
Bolivian Rainbow

Sweet/frying:

Jimmy Nardello
Cornu del Toro yellow

Generic red/green bell

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

^^I'm planning on growing the Jamacian hot chocolate next year as well, TZ. What are your thoughts on it: is it hotter or as hot as a habanero. And is it a habanero or is it just a habanero-type? What's the diff?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I once asked a bunch of serious pepper collectors about the difference between Scotch Bonnets and Habaneros regarding shape, flavor etc. and the consensus was that there are many similar looking very hot peppers of the species Capsicum chinensis. The flavors can be similar or dissimilar. Habanero is an orange pepper named after Havana, Cuba although it probably originated in Mexico. It has a distinctive fruity fragrance and flavor. Scotch Bonnets (Red, orange, yellow) originated in Jamaica/Caribbean and have a different fruity flavor, and may or may not have the skirted Tam O'Shanter shape.

Now that there are dozens of C. chinensis varieties available (from seed collectors bringing seeds back from travels around the world), it is easy to tack on the name "Habanero" because it is an easily recognized catagorical name, but for instance Peruvian White Habanero which is the size and shape of a Thompson Seedles Grape, is not from Mexico, not derived from the Orange Habenero, does not taste like an orange Hab, etc. but it is in the same heat range. On the other hand, Red Savina, which held the world heat record for a while, is not named "habanero" even though it is a simple color mutation (orange to red) found in a commercial field of orange habaneros.

There seems to be some flavor differences associated with color changes because noone ever says Red Savina tastes like an Orange Hab, and the brown colored C. chinense are often described as having an earthy/smoky flavor rather than a fruity flavor. These brown ones are sold as Chocolate Scotch Bonnet (Jamaica), Jamaican Hot Chocolate (Jamaica), Congo Black (Trinidad), et al. Some, like Jamaican Hot Chocolate can be traced back to a purchase at a specific market by a seed collector and are just better tasting strains than some others.

Interestingly, "black" tomatoes also have an earthy smoky flavor.

Jamaican Hot Chocolate is hotter than an orange Habanero, and although
I didn't get good flavor development from any of my hot peppers last year (cool season), others have told me that it is a very good flavored "chocolate" (smoky earthy tones). It was a very productive plant for me and fairly early in that at least half of the fruit ripened before frost, and of the green ones picked after the first frost many of them ripened indoors. I grew it next to Red Savina and had similar results (productivety, earliness, heat level).

I ended up using the end of season peppers to make extract (dried peppers soaked in vodka or white rum and then reduced the liquid to concentrate it) which I mainly use in real hot chocolate and chocolate milk to kick it up a notch without adding "hot sauce" flavor--also good in sangria/red wine and bourbon.

At one point I set a Peruvian White (creme colored) on top of a JHC and it looked like a delicious glossy chocolate candy with a creme filling...scared the heck out of me when I though about what would happen if somebody ate it thinking they would get a mouthfull of candy.

BTW, Peruvian White Habs are small plants, early, and vey very productive. The heat level is one notch below an orange Hab (if I eat one whole it seriously burns my mouth for about 8-10 minutes instead of 20-30 like an orange hab does). They do not have much air inside them so they are good to freeze whole if you are low on freezer space and want "fresh" peppers for off season salsa/guacamole etc.

Factoid: There are several new world plants and animals with a scientific name with "chinensis" = China in it because there was (for some reason) sometimes a mix up on where the specimens came from. Possibly due to poor labeling of specimens collected on around the world voyages of discovery that hit the Americas and then the far east.

His_Einna

I'm going with;

Jalepeno chillis
Red cherry chillies
Banana peppers
Fresno pepper
Corno Di pepper
Purple pepper

All I got last year was some sweet peppers going, but they grew okay. Let's see what I get this time!

His_Einna

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I like peppers. I like peppers with good pepper flavor and little heat.
I have had sweet banana peppers turn up the heat on me, when they get stressed. And I find that Anaheim chilis can vary on one plant with one being lightly hot and another scorching... for me.
I plan to grow these in 2010:
Anaheim Chili
Ancho (Poblano)
Cubanelle (frying pepper, good straight)
Joe E. Parker (new)
Numex Big Jim (new)
Paprika Pepper
Pepperoncini Italian pepper
Pimento pepper
Sweet Banana
Yolo wonder

I prefer only heirlooms or Open pollinated, and not hybrids.
Okay, so what am I missing, in the not so hot categories?
I absolutely do not want a habernero, jalapeno, etc. I find the heat from those cause my other peppers to go crazy hot.. So, I refuse to grow any extreme peppers. I am trying 2 new ones this year, based on the descriptions. The others I have grown before.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I planed on growing bhut jolokia, and jalapenos. But now, with all the pepper talk I have been reading, I've decided to order a few more.

Duh_Vinci, I, too, feel that I started my peppers too late last year. They were started the end of February, so this year I plan on starting them in the beginning of the month. Also, I think that by using grow lights this year, I will get some good results.

I'm thinking that I'm going to order some early bells and maybe a hot pepper or two, but I'm not certain yet.

I've never heard before that hot pepper plants in the garden will affect other plants and their peppers. Is this common or even true?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”