hathaway
Newly Registered

early potatoes

can any one help me.. I am short of growing space so am wondering when I harvest my early potatoes can I replant the space with something else and if so what. answers would be very much appreciated

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes you can plant things after you have harvested your potatoes. Peas would probably be the best thing to plant if you want to harvest in the summer. Though, some lettuces are fairly quick to germinate and grow as well.

If memory serves the earliest potatoes are harvested mid summer. So, another idea would be to plant some winter crops, to get a head start on those (winter lettuces, chard, kohlrabi, broccoli and so on) you can plant them in little containers at the end of May that way, they will be up and ready for planting my the end of July. And you will be eating all winter long. I'm still eating my veggies from last winter and I have the new crop planted.

hathaway
Newly Registered

thanks very much for advise on early potatoes and crop succession

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Hathaway,

You are most welcome. You know, something else that you could do as well as the succession thing is to plant a variety of potatoes such that you harvest in the summer, the fall, winter and even next spring for those that are a late season potatoe.

I was really happy to find a bunch of yukon golds still in my garden this spring. (Even though, I had thought that I had pulled every potatoe out of my garden.)

Lot's of fun.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”