mikemwa
Newly Registered

Mulch/Ground Cover

It's that time of year again. I'm getting ready to plant things in my vegetable garden. I'm wondering if there isn't any inexpensive living mulch/ground cover that I could grow between my vegetables in the rows that would grow easily, be dense, short and be able to grow back when it is cut down occasionally. My thinking on this is it would cut down on weeds, and as I cut it during hte year and till it in in the fall it would put the nutrients back in the soil. Any sugggestions?

Grey
Greener Thumb

The first thing that comes to mind is sedum for me. It's dense, low, spreading - and if in a pot, hangs over the edges of the pot. Some of them even bloom. I don't think it needs to be cut down tho. There are MANY different kinds - you'll want one with this kind of growth habit: https://www.naturehills.com/new/product/perennialsdetails.aspx?prodid=1281

as some of them actually grow some height.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I really like hairy vetch because it is a legume and assists bacteria in the fixation of nitrogen to nitrates which area added to the soil. In the past I have also done clover in between the rows and also Rye but, rye doesn't assist in nitrogen fixation.

Mow this stuff all summer long to add carbon to the soil.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”