Tinybu88les8

growing in pots?

Will all veggies do well in a pot as long as its large enough? I bought 2 long window pots (wont be using them in window but outside). I want to grow mesclun in one (since the slugs wont let me sow directly into the ground right now!!!!) and green onions in the other (since green onions can be cut and re-grown) and something to share with the green onion. Any suggestions? These pots are 30 inches long so theres plenty of length to fill in. I also bought a large square pot. I don't know what to grow in it? Was thinking broccoli raab or romanesco broccoli....or maybe cabbage? Preferably something that is year round... but it doesn't have to be. Id like to transplant one of my bell pepper plants but Ive been told not to...they are still so green and are still harvesting. I was told bell's do better the 2nd or 3rd year....when I planted them I had NO idea they even lasted through the season! I would love to hold onto them but they are taking up so much space in my garden (3 bells and 1 habanero) and seem to grow very slow. They started growing fruit months ago but I finally just picked my first batch a couple weeks ago (red green and yellow) and they were so wonderful. I grilled them with some chicken skewers. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to plant in my pots? I live in southern california so I get pretty nice weather most of the year (MOST but not all haha) I guess I'm just lost and unsure of what to do next. oh btw...I have Brussels sprouts and romenesco broccoli in pots right now (just to start them off) and they are about 4 inches tall. Are they large enough to plant into my garden yet? Okay...I'm done! I swear! Thanks everyone!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Most veggies can be grown in containers, though some do better than others, but it depends on the container and the situation. You said how long your containers are, but not how deep, which is important for what can grow in it. They will be outside (this is the time of year when I get really envious of all you Southern California folks, as I shut my garden down for the season and get braced for winter!), do you have a good sunny spot for them?

All the salad stuff is great in containers, lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, kale, other greens, and it is cool weather crops, meaning now would be a good time to start any of that. Also broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, onions and garlic. Herbs do very well in containers, basil being one of the most popular container herbs.

I usually let the stuff I start from seeds get a little bigger than 4" before I transplant it. But that's because I'm moving it from (relatively) warm indoors, to early spring Ohio outdoors where it can be exposed to all kinds of weather, so they need to be pretty sturdy. If your seedlings are already outdoors and your weather is staying nice, sure transplant them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”