tedln
Super Green Thumb

Anyone ever deal with this seed company?

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has purchased seed from the following company.

https://www.genericseeds.com/

I've looked at a lot of web sites recommended on this forum, but most of them seem to specialize in either heirloom seeds or have a limited supply of certain seed. This company seems to have every variety of heirloom and hybrid seed I am looking for. I've read about a few companies who will substitute a different variety if they are out of the variety you order. This companies prices seem a little high, but they have free shipping over $20.00. Any good or bad feedback will be appreciated.

Ted

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

They've been listed on one (pretty reliable) garden-supply feedback site since May 2009 only.

No comments at all yet. FWIW; YMMV.

Cynthia

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Hey Marlingardener,

Thanks for turning me on to Pinetree seeds. I checked them out and I was like a kid in a candy store. They have every heirloom tomato seed I have heard good reports on. I ordered so much seed, I will never be able to plant it all. I am looking forward to looking for all the little nooks and crannies in my garden next spring that will hold just one more plant. I hate for good seed or empty ground to be wasted so I will probably be trying to give some away once I figure out how much I can actually use. I only spent $40.00 but if I had ordered the same thing from Generic Seeds, it would have been well over $100.00.

Here is what I ordered. I am sure I will have more than I need and will be happy to share with others once I know my needs.

Product #: 342-GOLDBAR SQUASH (F1 hybrid 53 days)
Product #: 343-HORN OF PLENTY SQUASH (F1 hybrid 45 days)
Product #: 74-RED CORED CHANTENAY CARROT (75 days)
Product #: 156-SLIM JIM EGGPLANT (60 days)
Product #: 15901-RAVEENA EGGPLANT (F1 Hybrid 70 days)
Product #: 7102-ATOMIC RED CARROT(76 days)
Product #: 137-SWEET SUCCESS CUKE (F1 hybrid 54 days)
Product #: 42803-STUPICE TOMATO
Product #: 42702-CUOSTRALEE TOMATO
Product #: 41602-MORTGAGE LIFTER TOMATO (77 days)
Product #: 415-KELLOGGS BREAKFAST TOMATO (79 days)
Product #: 424-BRANDYWINE TOMATO (80 days)
Product #: 408-PRUDENS PURPLE TOMATO (72 days)
Product #: 41603-CLIMBING TRIPLE CROP TOMATO (80 days)

Now I can only sit around waiting for their catolog. You never know, I may need something else. People like me is what "The Gardening Business" is built around.

Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener,

I look forward to growing all of them, but I am most interested or curious about the climbing triple crown tomato. It is supposedly a vining tomato and will grow on a trellis. I have the perfect trellis which was this years green bean trellis. Since I built a new 30 ft. long trellis for my beans next spring, I've been wondering what I can grow on the shorter trellis. The description on Pinetree Seeds says it is a plant that has been sold on television so it may simply be a gimmick plant but since the seed is cheap, I can't lose much. I may be surprised and pleased. At the very least, it may be something similar to a Roma or paste tomato which will make some good tomato sauce.

I've heard others report that the Kellogs Breakfast doesn't produce well and the taste is not outstanding. Then I read another report that claims it is the best tasting tomato ever grown. I don't have expectations for great production from any of the heirlooms, but hopefully I will have some outstanding size and taste.

The Cuostralee tomato is supposedly a French heirloom which ripens to a very deep, almost purple color. The shoulders of the tomato have unusual ridges which extend vertically down the tomato. It is claimed to grow up to 3 lbs. and crack resistent with excellent taste. Sounds very interesting.

I've had an unexpectedly high production from my Goliath Bush tomatoes this fall and ate the first one today. It waa super tasty as a tomato / avocado salad. I will plant them again in the spring and hope for similar productivity in the spring/summer crop.

If all else fails, I always plant a lot of Better Boy hybrid tomatoes which unfailingly provide high productivity, and great taste.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”