NatGreeneVeg

Great Program on PBS

In case anyone missed the PBS special The Botany of Desire which premiered Wednesday, October 28, 2009, you can still watch the entire program online. It's incredible.

BOTANY OF DESIRE is a documentary which tells the utterly original story of everyday plants and the way they have domesticated humankind. An interpretation of the relationship between plants and people. This two-hour documentary explores plant evolution and takes viewers from the potato fields of Peru and Idaho, the apple forests of Kazakhstan, and the tulip markets of Amsterdam.

View online in it's entirety: [url=https://video.pbs.org/video/1283872815/]here[/url]

This is another related program by the same presenter on LINK TV (a cable access channel) which is timely:

Deep Agriculture
Traditional methods of agriculture in most developed nations have long ignored environmental concerns. Factors such as soil erosion, water shortage and the impact of chemicals on bio-systems have been overlooked in favour of massive crop yields and cheaper food. But what impact does this have on our health and our environment?

View online in it's entirety: [url=https://fora.tv/2009/05/05/Michael_Pollan_Deep_Agriculture]here[/url]

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I liked it for the most part except they kept refering to artificial selection as natural selection, and tried to make it sound like the plants were controlling people for their own benefit.

I got a kick out of people being all upset with MacDonalds about using GMO potatoes that have the BT gene in them. Its fine (Organicly PC) to spray BT all over the plants but its not OK for the potatoes to have the BT gene. Both will result in resistant insects over time and the GMO taters are better for the environment...less petrolium. But if those people cared so much about what they eat why are they eating at MacDonalds?

soil
Greener Thumb

But if those people cared so much about what they eat why are they eating at MacDonalds?
lmao :lol: :lol: :lol: that is so true.

I liked the video, specially all the diversity. I want all those potatoes!!!!!!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for links Nat. I totally forgot about them being until I saw one of your post on another site yesterday about it and remembered. Oops.

nes
Green Thumb

Thanks so much for the share! I really enjoyed Botany of Desire!

The pot producers was particularly entertaining, he's clearly been dipping into his own stash "...it's as if the plants are talking..." :lol:

The tulips were just beautiful & I learned so much about both apple & potato production!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”