TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

What's the best way to roast pumpkin seeds so that they can be shelled easily? I roasted mine at 400 until they were golden, and they're tasty with the shells on, but I want to use shelled seeds as a garnish for pumpkin soup.

The ones I just roasted don't shell easily at all. The seeds inside just fall apart if I can even get the shell open.

I'd really like to get a bowl of attractive, whole roasted seeds to put next to the soup tureen when I serve it.

p.s. any other good garnishes for pumpkin soup? I tried finely-chopped parsley, but I didn't like that at all.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The only way I have tried to shell raosted pumpkin seeds is with my mouth. That is after cooking the whole seed. Not really sure it is possible after roasting.

applestar
Mod

A dollop of sour cream/yogurt or double cream/creme fresh -- depends on whether you like that sour taste or prefer the sweet taste -- and ground spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves -- separately or blended). A nutmeg grater or a whole nutmeg and cinnamon stick grated on microplane rasp also makes a nice presentation.

Crystallized ginger or fresh fine matchstick ginger or freshly grated ginger juice (use judiciously -- a drop or two to several drops per bowl at most).

Lightly toasted sesame seeds or toasted chopped nuts -- pecans or pistachios -- OR like you said, pumpkin seeds. There are pumpkin varieties with hull-less seeds that are grown for the seeds and not the pumpkin flesh -- not even sure if they are edible/palatable.

*Maybe* finely minced shallots ...or chives if you really want something green.

:idea: This one I haven't tried but I just had this idea -- how about floating a whole dried apple ring? I think it would depend on how much the apple ring would soften -- crunchy or chewy unwieldy whole apple ring would be difficult to eat with a soup spoon....

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Waterbug I think you should forget it and we should just go over to Applestars for dinner. I think she has it down. And I am hungry now. 8)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

pretty sure most of the shelled pumpkinseed you might see for sale are from hull-less varieties. get the plant to do that step for you. of course, some are longer-season mixtas that might not do well where you are or farther north...there's a couple varieties i've seen for sale, around...'kakai' among them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”