gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

How do you all roast pumpkin seeds?

I normally cook them on trays at about 400 for up 40 min or so. Lately I have been trying them at 300 for about the same time (or until they look done). When I cook them I give them a tossin' about every 10 min. I put 2 trays side by on the top rack. Season however I feel at the time. Sometimes I put oil on them sometimes not.

I need suggestions, because sometimes they are just awesome and can't put the bag down. Other times I end up throwing them away. I'm not sure if it is my cooking style or the variety of seeds. I cooked some I got from my friends farm they were heaven. A few weeks later I cooked some I got from Lowe's the ones from the white pumpkins were pretty good the orange pumpkin seeds were not so good. But, the tray with the orange seeds had twice as many seeds maybe that had something to do with it. I just love them done right and it's a lot of work to be doing to come up with a bad batch.

So....How do you dry them? How long and at what temp do you cook them? Do you put oil on them at first? Anything else?

If you look on the net and there are 30 recipes there are 30 different ways (temps, times etc).

Thanks,
Dono

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I just tried this method and think it is a very good starting point

https://www.recipezaar.com/Pumpkin-Seeds-43850

Boiling in the salted water until the hull color changes (10 min) salts them perfectly. I'm not sure if the butter is my favorite way to go for flavor but it is good and the seeds are not greasy. It might help them cook more evenly (don't know). Flavorings could be added either to the butter (garlic) or the boiling water (hot peppers).

30 min at 350 took them to the edge of over toasted, but I accidentally left the oven on preheat the whole time, and I don't trust our oven much anyway so your mileage may vary.

I had the seeds one layer deep and only stirred them once. I don't know if it was needed (because of the butter?). The double layer of foil may have helped prevent scorching

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Never even thought about boiling them. I have a BUNCH so maybe with a few I will try it.

Boiling huh? After all the time I take drying them, could work.

Thanks I will give it a go.

Another secret I have is when they start to pop I let them go a few min longer than they are done. Though they don't always pop. So you have to eye them.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

None of these popped in the oven (maybe they don't seal up since the pumpkin goo boils off?). From the boiling water I put them into a collander to drain for a second, tossed the butter in the still warm pot, added the hot-wet seeds, stirred them up to coat them and then put them on the foil covered cookie sheet. Nothing stuck to the foil.

NatGreeneVeg

Spiced Pumpkin Seeds

3 C whole raw green pumpkin seeds
1 T chili powder
3/4 t cayenne pepper
1 1/2 t coarse salt
2 1/2 T fresh lime juice

Combine all ingredients, spread out onto baking sheet in even layer. In a 350˚F oven, bake for 35-45 minutes. Time will depend on your oven and type and size of seed. Bake until golden brown or a bit darker to taste.

These are a hit at gatherings.

When I harvest seeds, I rinse but don't bother getting every bit of pulp off. It's easier, quicker, adds texture, and picks up flavor.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Nat. Like I said no one cooks them the same. I have loved them for, well, as long as I can remember. My mom always cooked them.

I have 3/4 of a colander full so I will try a few different ways.

Again thanks everybody.

Next: :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I had two different batches gong last night at the same time, boy was that fun. Normally I would do it like you said. 300-400 for 30-60 min and a pan until just right.

Last night I tried one batch boiling for 10 min with salt (mixing with butter and more seasonings if you like) than baking at 350 for about 35 min. When I first heard this I wasn't too sure about boiling them but they came out pretty darn good actually, I also put a spin on that recipe and took a piece of yours and added chili powder, so thanks for that. :)

The other batch was simply in a dry electric skillet with some salt. They came out okay in texture but lacked the flavoring. I think I might melt some butter tonight and toss them with some seasoning and give them a quick saute.

I still have a ton left so might just cook them up before they go bad. Not sure how though probably just regular style.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:I just tried this method and think it is a very good starting point

https://www.recipezaar.com/Pumpkin-Seeds-43850

Boiling in the salted water until the hull color changes (10 min) salts them perfectly. I'm not sure if the butter is my favorite way to go for flavor but it is good and the seeds are not greasy. It might help them cook more evenly (don't know). Flavorings could be added either to the butter (garlic) or the boiling water (hot peppers).

30 min at 350 took them to the edge of over toasted, but I accidentally left the oven on preheat the whole time, and I don't trust our oven much anyway so your mileage may vary.

I had the seeds one layer deep and only stirred them once. I don't know if it was needed (because of the butter?). The double layer of foil may have helped prevent scorching
Thanks for this idea TZ to be quite honest when I got them out of the water I thought "OH my those don't look very good" But they came out pretty good. I will have to remember that.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

After I take them out of the pumpkin, I wash them in a colander. Then I "pre-dry" them in the oven: 250F for 1 hour. Then follow the recipe:

1 cup seeds
2 tsp butter, melted
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp seasoned salt

Melt the butter in a bowl, add Worcestershire and seasoned salt. Add seeds and stir to coat. Bake in a 250F oven for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If they start to pop, they're done early.

P.S. Is everyone getting pumpkins/squash just for the seeds or are you cooking the pumpkin too? Yesterday was trash day and my DH and I drove around and scored 6 whole pumpkins which we plan on eating for seeds and maybe pulp too. Bonus!

pharmerphil

all these sound great and have me craving roasted seed, we will be working up a bunch of pumpkin this weekend, so I'll try a couple of these suggestions :D

Ermintrude

I like the sound of boiling them first. Presume they will absorb various flavours, like the thought of the lime juice.

Bought some excellent ones in Turkey a few years ago always wished I had asked how they had got them so tasty and just the right texture. Rushed off in a bus before I had tasted them. I only bought them because a little girl did an excellent sales job.

I also have about five different varieties of pumpkin so it will be interesting to see if the seeds taste different.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Petalfuzz The Worcestershire sounds like a winner I have another batch worth of seeds left. I couldn't grow pumpkins this year for some reason but seeds is what I want them for. I have some "Lady Godiva" for next year. They are suppose to be known for the seeds only, flesh not being very good. Out stealing pumpkins are you, I see them and think every time man I could use those seeds. Have you seen the "Taking leaves" thread? :P

Ermitrude Not really sure on the boiling method but I will try again and suggest you try it with some but not all at first. They are pretty tasty but a little on the chewy side. It was my first try with this method so I maybe should have cooked them a little longer in the oven.

Phil I have about 5 bags done different ways. I will attest to the chili powder as a main seasoning they are pretty righteous. But my fav so far, though not very healthy for you would be...

Cooking them in a skillet with bacon fat as the oil and chili powder as the seasoning with salt and pepper. Tossed saute style till nice and dark. Not black but very golden brown. Like Petalfuzz said I like to cook them till they start popping. Really I opened the bag the other day and didn't close it till they were all gone. :o

I think I really prefer the skillet method over everything. That is my preference, I was a cook for quite a while so I have the saute thing down. Plus you can see exactly how things are going. In the oven it's just guessing until you pull them out, even if you time it for intervals. They may burn during one of those intervals. Plus I like the hands on style of cooking.

Good luck to all and thanks for all the ideas, they have really made some good seeds. :-()

Oh and Phil don't forget to send me a HUGE box of seeds, thanks. :P I'm all out after the next small batch till next year. :cry:

Sorry it's getting long. But don't forget to put those discarded pumpkins in the compost. Bury them at the bottom you wouldn't believe how fast they compost.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I've always done them in a pan on the stove. A little oil on the bottom so they don't stick, and then just toast them in the pan. Once nice and golden you can either salt them or them them just as they are. I've done that since I was in 4th grade.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

a0c8c wrote:I've always done them in a pan on the stove. A little oil on the bottom so they don't stick, and then just toast them in the pan. Once nice and golden you can either salt them or them them just as they are. I've done that since I was in 4th grade.
I think you have been doing it right than. But I had to try something different. It was either oven or pan for me normally. I really think the saute methods is the best though. 8)

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

You're not sauteing them though, that's the big difference. The oil is maybe 3-4 drops just to coat the bottom so they don't stick. I'm toasting them instead of roasting them in the oven.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

What's the best way to roast pumpkin seeds so that they can be shelled easily? I roasted mine at 400 until they were golden, and they're tasty with the shells on, but I want to use shelled seeds as a garnish for pumpkin soup.

The ones I just roasted don't shell easily at all. The seeds inside just fall apart if I can even get the shell open.

I'd really like to get a bowl of attractive, whole roasted seeds to put next to the soup tureen when I serve it.

p.s. any other good garnishes for pumpkin soup? I tried finely-chopped parsley, but I didn't like that at all.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The only way I have tried to shell raosted pumpkin seeds is with my mouth. That is after cooking the whole seed. Not really sure it is possible after roasting.

applestar
Mod

A dollop of sour cream/yogurt or double cream/creme fresh -- depends on whether you like that sour taste or prefer the sweet taste -- and ground spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves -- separately or blended). A nutmeg grater or a whole nutmeg and cinnamon stick grated on microplane rasp also makes a nice presentation.

Crystallized ginger or fresh fine matchstick ginger or freshly grated ginger juice (use judiciously -- a drop or two to several drops per bowl at most).

Lightly toasted sesame seeds or toasted chopped nuts -- pecans or pistachios -- OR like you said, pumpkin seeds. There are pumpkin varieties with hull-less seeds that are grown for the seeds and not the pumpkin flesh -- not even sure if they are edible/palatable.

*Maybe* finely minced shallots ...or chives if you really want something green.

:idea: This one I haven't tried but I just had this idea -- how about floating a whole dried apple ring? I think it would depend on how much the apple ring would soften -- crunchy or chewy unwieldy whole apple ring would be difficult to eat with a soup spoon....

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Waterbug I think you should forget it and we should just go over to Applestars for dinner. I think she has it down. And I am hungry now. 8)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

pretty sure most of the shelled pumpkinseed you might see for sale are from hull-less varieties. get the plant to do that step for you. of course, some are longer-season mixtas that might not do well where you are or farther north...there's a couple varieties I've seen for sale, around...'kakai' among them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”