hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Fall is great for greens

Here in S.C. the greens really thrive during our usual prolonged cool period from September into November and often on into December. My collards and kale are growing faster than we can eat them, and the patch is just ten mature collard plants, and about 35 square feet of kale. Several new patches of young collards are just now ready for harvesting very young tender leaves. Our arugula and lettuce are simply growing gangbusters. Out of two three foot by four foot beds we can harvest and eat fresh salad greens every day of the week if we wish. Another bed of young arugula is just starting and another bed of lettuce mixed in with the garlic plants is close to yielding the very young tender stage of leaves. If you have an extended fall, by all means plant whatever kind of greens that strike your fancy. You will be ever so glad you did. And there is almost no work, certainly none that compares to maintaining that mid summer garden.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sir, you nailed it there. I have been thinking the same thing. I have greens in my garden now. Some are doing better than others. But I don't do anything as far as taking care of them, mom nature is doing the watering for me. Would someone tell her they have had enough if they see her. But like I said I forget about the garden till I want a salad or something and go pick whatever is ready. It's really kind of nice. :D

Why did I never do this before, live and learn?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”