nes
Green Thumb

Can't wait for Spring!!

Guess what I got!!!

[img]https://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/knitness/DSC_0002-1.jpg[/img]

I'm so dyeing of excitement to get planting and I have 6 months left before I can start indoors?? That's SO depressing! I need to move somewhere warmer... Anyway, I got them from Vesey's a small Canadian company (they do ship to US) who I'm supper happy to be supporting, best of all they were the cheapest of everyone! :D.

Really happy with the product but they sent me plain white steaks (4" variety) instead of the coloured ones I ordered :(. No worries, coloured ones are on their way to me now! :lol: I think I may have to steak each individual plant as I now have 200!!!

Must calm self... and stop obsessively reading the back of every package & fondling my seeds... I'm going to have to distract myself by going back to my excel sheet and obsessively plotting out each & every vegetable that grows :D.

The former veggie garden is all prepped for spring, but the new addition is sitting out there cut out but not hollowed & taunting me. My belly has gotten just too large though! It will have to wait until warmer weather :(.

I even got the Lincoln peas for my new little boy so now we can't change his name!! :lol:

applestar
Mod

Nes, if you're starting now, you're going to have a loooong winter! :lol:
Not that I can talk. I bought a packet of corn seeds along with other exotics that I'm going to experiment with over the winter -- bamboo, coffee, lotus... and did I mention I'm planning to grow water chestnuts which will have to be started sometime in February? Reviewing my notes from this year, I'll need to plan my seed starting better. I think I'll start some as of Valentines Day like Rainbowgardener, instead of March 1st, and I'll also need to start some others on a more appropriate schedule (not too early).

But I *refuse* to do my main veg garden seed shopping until at least after Christmas! :wink:

nes
Green Thumb

I'm just not that disciplined! :D I started on the seed catalogues mid-july... :oops:

I did start some lettuce so I don't go TOO crazy... we'll see how that experiment goes.

The coffee plant sounds like such a neat idea!! I've always wanted to know if I could grow my own tea plants!! I mean, I'm sure I'd be arrested when they found 100 or so tea plants in a shed with a bunch of florescent lights over them... but I could probably go through that many in a year!! :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I also do my seed catalog shopping right after Christmas. I don't start tomatoes until Valentines day, but I start cool weather crops, like broccoli, as well as some slow growing perennials, like rosemary, and a few other things in mid Jan. For some reason in my experience the red or purple basil is much more slow growing than the green, so I start it early too.

But I agree with applestar that you will make yourself crazy if you start wishing for spring now; it isn't even winter yet! Sit back and enjoy the fall (we are still having nice days and brilliant fall colors here) before you start thinking about spring.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Yep, time to slow down. Veggie gardening is a lifetime marathon, not a sprint. If not careful, you will burn yourself out early on. Speaking of some place warmer, perhaps join us here in S.C. The Canadians seem to love it here, many come to the beaches when only they would venture into that chilly water. Though we have seasons here, I garden year round. Salad greens and cold hardy greens are easy to overwinter. Of course the garlic grows all winter. We start our earliest transplants in December or January to go into the ground mid to late April. I usually pick my first tomatoes in mid May, with squash and cukes soon to follow. On a down note, many folks don't like our usually 90+ degree very humid summers during July and August. But for me, I love it, and since getting a little older, tolerate the heat much better than the chilly sub 50 degree weather.

Am wishing you well in your pregancy and delivery of a healthy child, and may spring come early for both you and your new one.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm right there with you Nes. I have received seeds form 2 places already. I even have some growing in my basement lab (indoor garden experiment).

Still have the garden outside going too, I'll be happy when it's done so I can relax on that. I will tell you when I will be going crazy is this spring I have never really started a garden from seed. I hope it all works out. :o

lilinater

my problem is rose catalogs, I will look at year old catalogs and be oohing over each of them for 5 minutes :oops: I just love roses :D I just have to banish rose catalogs from my sight :) around hear we can't start gardening until late spring :x I guess I I will just have to enjoy the winter :roll: it is funny watching are indoor cats go out in the snow :lol: hope you can distract yourself for the winter :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”