Miss Sprout

potato convincing

hi everyone

I really want to try and grow some potatoes this year and I know the easiest way to do it and it wouldn't cost a thing but my mum wont let me! is there any way to convince her that it is a good idea??

:) thanks

pharmerphil

Miss Sprout wrote:hi everyone

I really want to try and grow some potatoes this year and I know the easiest way to do it and it wouldn't cost a thing but my mum wont let me! is there any way to convince her that it is a good idea??

:) thanks
TASTE...you will never find a potato in the market that tastes as good as your homegrown :D
raised well over 400 pounds this year, and we are in TATOR HEAVEN 8)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with pharmerphil. I haven't grown my own potatoes yet (next year!) but I get lots of different varieties of fresh picked, local organic farm grown ones from my CSA (community supported agriculture) farm, which are the next best thing to homegrown -- and they are wonderful!

Beyond that, I guess you need to figure out WHY your mum doesn't want you to and deal with her specific objections (is she worried if you get absorbed in gardening you will neglect your studies, is she worried about you tracking mud in the house, is she worried about you messing around with poison chemicals insecticides etc). Talk to her (CALMLY) about what her worries/objections are and see if you can deal with those.

Gardening is a wonderful hobby and there is research to show that kids who garden do better in school than others. Lots of schools are incorporating gardening programs.

pharmerphil

and I...agree with Rainbowgardener! :D
Also, keep in mind there is no need for worry about chemicals..grow organically , our harvest was excellent, with beautiful large disease free potatoes...nothing but sun, good organic soil, manure, kelp and fish emulsion was used...
One major difference between homegrown and commercially produced potatoes is the use of very strong chemicals by the commercial growers...many don't realize that they use systemic insecticides, fungicides and some even use powerful chemicals to kill off the vines prior to harvesting, called Potato vine desiccants...
something to think about when you eat a potato skin from a store bought potato or at a restaurant :wink:

Born Again Gardener

Yea, taste, without a doubt. The humble spud is a sensation when home grown. If ur mum won't believe you just grow a few in a tub and next year she will insist on you growing them. It's great tipping them out half an hour before dinner to find out how many you have!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I agree with phil who agreed with rainbow who agreed with phil in the first place. :lol:

This is my first year growing potatoes. Boy was I stupid they were wonderful, never will I go back. Why does your mum to want you to? That might help us help you better. They are so easy to grow as well. You could even use them as a ground cover of sorts if you have a big garden to start out with until she falls in love them and than have a separate garden for them after that.

Good luck

Dono

Born Again Gardener

Does your mum like flowers Miss Sprout? Potatoes produce pretty little ones like this;

[img]IMG_0462.JPG[/img]

Born Again Gardener

Here's a link to the pic;

https://flowersandotherstuff.blogspot.com/

hope this works. .

freedhardwoods

Miss Sprout,
Why does she not want you to grow them? We can't give you a convincing arguement if we don't know her reason for not wanting them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”