gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

my first attempt at indoor veggie gardening (Pics)

Well what do think? I'm a moron, I'm a genius or just good start?

This is pretty basic and done in a rush. Literally less than 45 min from removing the light from the garage bringing it downstairs hanging it (temporarily), getting soil and planting seeds, watering than powering it up.

The 2 bigger cottage cheese planters hold Rossimo lettuce the little one holds a mystery seed that was in the bottom of the shipping envelope. :roll: The pots hold some sweet potato vines I pulled to see if they would root. They have been next to my north facing basement window for a while and are not doing well, not much sun and cold. They seem to be rooted though, if they take off I will try them in buckets as an experiment.

Hey it's a start. The plantings are an experiment I have never been very good at starting my own seeds (lazy being the main reason next would be ignorance). So this is my trial period before the big game next spring. :lol: I've got all winter to figure it out.

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC02931.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC02932.jpg[/img]

zone9garden.com

Got to start somewhere! It is always better to start small and learn from your mistakes!

Good luck!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

A little advice; it looks like you have a bottle of some sort of fertilizer there, from the green label it could be something organic but, I would surmise that it is a commercial chemical fertilizer. Even with indoor gardening it is better to keep things organic because you won't burn your plants and you'll maintain a healthy soil ecosystem that will ward off disease.

So try using some manure, coffee grounds, rock phosphate and so on as soil amendments.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

opabinia51 wrote:A little advice; it looks like you have a bottle of some sort of fertilizer there, from the green label it could be something organic but, I would surmise that it is a commercial chemical fertilizer. Even with indoor gardening it is better to keep things organic because you won't burn your plants and you'll maintain a healthy soil ecosystem that will ward off disease.

So try using some manure, coffee grounds, rock phosphate and so on as soil amendments.
!!!Gix slaps you on the hand!!! That is fish emulsions, I don't use chemical fertilizers. :shock: I am very green, you can see the re-used pots and re-used watering can. The other bottles are molasses and kelp extract. :cry:
Even the bag of composted cow manure is certified. Thought the white bag of so called top soil would be better made into more pots.

I realize you don't know me but that hurts. :cry:

Other than that I do respect you opinions on here so have a nice night. 8)
Last edited by gixxerific on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Good on you, that's exactly my point. I use fish emulsion and an algae emulsion as well! Good for you! So many gardeners go for that salt based stuff.

Opabinia

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I went in for a close-up on the photo. I could make out a blurry "Fish Emulsion" on the first two lines of the brown container with the green label. :)

My only concern for your experiment, gixx, is whether the garage will be warm enough for the plants. Fluorescent fixtures don't emit much heat--that's what tends to make them more energy-efficient, BTW--how will you keep the plants warm? Is there a south-facing window for a limited greenhouse effect?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

pharmerphil

Gix, it's a start and Here's To Ya!!
:lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

[quote="gixxerific"] removing the light from the garage bringing it downstairs

So I'm thinking that set up isn't in your garage, it's in your basement? Even if the basement isn't heated, it probably stays warmer than a garage. But cynthia's concern is still somewhat valid. For seedlings you want the temps to stay above 60 degrees.

Depending what you want to grow, if you want to start seeds, they may need more warmth to germinate. Lots of seeds germinate better at temps above 70. I have a regular drugstore bought heating pad that I set under the trays to warm the soil a bit for plants that like warmer germination.

Speaking of trays, if you don't want water running all over the place, trays make it much neater. Also that way you can bottom water - put the water in the tray and let the plants/soil soak it up. That is much better for starting seeds, if that is what you plan to do. Seedlings easily get damping off fungus if top watered.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the replies, and like I said this was a rush job always in evolution.

I have been thinking about the warmth factor. It is in my basement but it is cold down there, trust me the pc is down there and it is cold. I have an oil based heater that might work, I also have a heating pad. Both of these things I have thought about.

The light is plugged into a light socket two way (a screw in receptacle that goes in a light socket). I am worried about overheating and fire possibility's. My basement has only two outlets in it. the one on that side is a single and already has a tv for the kids plugged in it. There is only one heating duct down there which is close to where the plants are, I have even thought about moving the whole deal under the duct. Decisions, decisions.

I also need to find a good tray that would make it easier to move outside on sunny warm day's. I have one that I was using this spring but it is for my (muddy) work boots which need to be brought in now cause I don't want freezing cold boots in the morning.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”