brekehan

Bell Peppers - Fruit stopped

My bell pepper plant has sprung maybe 7 starting peppers, they all grew really long but will not thicken! The one has been the same size for a month, just hanging there all long and slender. Why won't they thicken up instead of looking like jalepenos?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What variety of peppers are you growing? There are bell peppers that grow more pepper shaped (vs bell shaped), though they are still thicker walled than jalepenos.

What are the conditions the pepper plants are growing in? temperatures lately, how much sun, how crowded together are the plants, how much rain/water, do you fertilize (with what?), etc ?

Hard to tell what's going on without some data...

brekehan

Temp has been 80s in day 50-60 at night.
Lots of rain all month.
Ground is muddy.
Little sun.

The one is "Big Bertha" but that one has no fruit, I guess do to transplanting when it was mature. The other, I have no idea. I lost the label.

brekehan

I just foud my problem.

It looks like it isn't bell pepper at all! I think it is a cayene pepper. Stupid Lowe's and thier labels.

Are those supposed to be green or red? Should I wait to pick them for mor than a month?

soil
Greener Thumb

i always get mixed up labels from big places like that. this year i got red habanero and ended up with orange ones. and yes i left some on till they fell and rotted just to see if it turned red.

cant beat starting and saving your own seeds.
For all things come from earth, and all things end by becoming earth.

splat42069

I grew Big Bertha this year and the peppers don't get like a bell shaped. They are more longated. My problem with my plant is the peppers don't wanna ripen.

pharmerphil

soil wrote:i always get mixed up labels from big places like that. this year i got red habanero and ended up with orange ones. and yes i left some on till they fell and rotted just to see if it turned red.

cant beat starting and saving your own seeds.
You said a mouthful there Soil...
everything in our garden, spare the corn and potatoes, starts in the basement from our own saved seed..
However, my wife occasionally spies something interesting at one of the big box stores..and brings home a 4 pack...even with these random 4 pack purchases...we get miss tagged plants..
But are they really miss tagged, or, have the growers had a little cross pollination going on effecting their seed stock :?:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”