creepycrawley

Weird pepper infection

Hey all.. I've got this weird thing with my pepper plants.. I've included pics, but those are of my uncle's plants.. Mine are way smaller, about 5 months old and they're starting to turn the same way, with the topmost leaves crinkling and the others turning partly green and yellow, just like in the pictures.. I've been snipping off the crinkled ones continuously, but I dunno what more to do.. They were infested with aphids for about a week or so before I sprayed them, so I'm wondering if they didn't have something to do with that.. I've got about 8 young uns, and a few have started to go this way, not all.. Can someone please help? Thanks..

[img]https://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt117/creepycrawley/21092009056.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt117/creepycrawley/21092009055.jpg[/img][/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm stepping a little outside my expertise here, but I'm guessing it's not an infection, but chlorosis. Chlorosis, which causes that characteristic yellowing with green veins remaining, is an iron deficiency. But it doesn't necessarily mean your soil is iron deficient. It could be that or it could be that the plant is having trouble uptaking iron, because the soil is too alkaline. Or it could be overwatering flushing out nutrients. Those are commonest, but other kinds of stresses can do it too, including the soil temperature around the roots being above about 75 degrees F.

It is common for older pepper leaves to get like that, the plant sort of mines the oldest leaves for nutrients. It may indicate a need for increased fertilization, but isn't a serious problem. But if most of them including younger leaves are like that, as the pictures suggest, you really need to figure out what is stressing the plant. In the meantime adding iron to the soil or to the leaves (foliar feeding) will probably help. Here in US we have a product called Ironite, which is really good for greening things up. But again, that is treating the symptom, you need to figure out what the underlying stress is.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, we've come across the chlorosis question here before.

Given what rainbow said I would buy a soil test kit and test the pH of your soil and if it is to alkaline add something that is slightly acidic. You can also test for Iron (Fe).

Another way to fix chlorosis that has worked in my garden and in other members garden over the years is to add some greens ie. Nitrgogen the the soil. Manure is good but, don't add chicken manure as it is to high in nitrogen.

but, test the soil first.

creepycrawley

Oh.. I see.. Well, thanks a lot for the quick reply, and I'll definitely try out what you suggested.. And I was wondering if composting would be a good idea t try and solve the nitrogen problem, and if so, how much would be needed.. The patch in which I'm growing them in is about a square foot.. Thanks again for all your help.. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

compost is always good, plus all the things we already said. But how many plants are in that square foot?

Here's what they usually say about spacing pepper plants:
Set transplants 18 to 24 inches apart in the row, or 14 to 18 inches apart in all directions in beds. Even the people who do square foot gardening and really crowd things in leave a foot between plants. Pepper plants are good sized plants. Well fed and cared for they get at least 4' tall in one season.

I expect part of what is going on with your plants is they are overcrowded and so competing too much for nutrients. One square foot (if you really meant that, a square 12 inches or 30 cm on a side?) is enough for ONE bell pepper plant.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”