bananabat

Corn & Squash plant BUGS EVERYWHERE

We've just gotten through a few heavy rains and bugs seem to be everywhere

Both my corn and squash plants have extensive bug damage now: both have lots of sucking bugs like leaf-legged bugs as well as scales and aphids. The corn also has caterpillars burrowing holes in the corn cobs and eating up leaves like crazy.

I've been using NEEM oil, Bt, and something called Garlic Pepper Tea that's basically fermented garlic and cayenne peppers. I guess bugs aren't fond of it.

I've been tyrying to keep things organic, but am going to switch teams pretty soon if it keeps getting worse.

Somebody, anybody, please help!

pharmerphil

Break out the Organic big guns Bananabat
find a dealer near by that carries Bonide's "Rotenone/Pyrethrin" concentrate..
if you go to here;

https://www.bonideproducts.com/products/product.php?category_id=857

they have a zip code search to find a dealer near You
It's the best you can do, and still stay with Team Organic...good luck, Hope you do well :D

plantkiller

pharmerphil wrote:Break out the Organic big guns Bananabat
find a dealer near by that carries Bonide's "Rotenone/Pyrethrin" concentrate..
if you go to here;

https://www.bonideproducts.com/products/product.php?category_id=857

they have a zip code search to find a dealer near You
It's the best you can do, and still stay with Team Organic...good luck, Hope you do well :D
I've been thinking about mixing some Pyrethrin concentrate in with my weekly neem spray for the plants that seem to be having above normal pest problems. Does anyone know if it is safe to mix these two, or if the neem/pyrethrin would counteract each other or cause any other problems?

The Florida gardening book I've read ends the chapter of sowing seeds/planting seedlings with "Now you can begin the battle of the bugs!"..and the author was NOT kidding!

I have bugs and fungus coming out of my ears.

soil
Greener Thumb

we had literally thousands of those squash bugs on our property, they would get into everything( little explorers) I would find them wandering the celing in the house sometimes. I knew there had to be a natural pest control, even our chickens wouldnt eat them for some reason. sure enough a few months later....my pest control came. in the form of a western fence lizard. before I knew it there was hundreds of lizards, and not too long after the squash bugs are gone. I have not seen one in months, compared to I couldn't take 3 steps without almost stepping on one. just a way to avoid pestecides.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”