gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

My meager Sweet Potato harvest (PICS)

Well I just went ahead and dug up my Sweat spuds. I couldn't wait any longer. I first dug up the four in the new garden as of this spring. Still lots of clay plus I didn't take care of them like I should. The SUPER plant which I knew would do good (or at least hoped would). This plant I took better care of plus it was in a better soil. I added soil to the root area at different intervals this year to promote root growth, well it worked. You wouldn't believe the amount of worms in there probably well over a hundred just around the SUPER Spud area.

The spuds on the bucket lid were from the 4 smaller plants combined, very meager, kinda had me down and not wanting to mess with Super Spud.

The ones on the ground were all from Super Spud, a single plant. I knew it was going to be good when I saw them poking up out of the soil after I untangled the mass of vines. :shock: :D

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC02861.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC02863.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Good job! So now you've learned a lot about what works and doesn't work and should be set for a great sweet potato harvest next year! :)

Diane
Green Thumb

Nice harvest. Soft soil seems to be the answer for some plants.

That's why I'm adding only potting soil from now on. Along with compost.
No more garden soil.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Diane wrote:Nice harvest. Soft soil seems to be the answer for some plants.

That's why I'm adding only potting soil from now on. Along with compost.
No more garden soil.
Thanks, that's what I do as well. When I plant, I will dig the hole or furrow and fill with a composted manure\potting soil mix. My plot where the 4 were is still hard clay. I had to use a trowel to dig, I couldn't use my hands. On the other more established plot I never used a trowel once, just my hands and it broke apart so easy.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”