gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Too late to plant potatoes?

I have some potatoes from this spring's harvest that I saved in a box with a little peat moss in the bottom. I made a post a while back but couldn't find it. I believe it was Rainbowgardener that said to put them somewhere and forget about them. Well that is basically what I did and guess what, I checked them today and several of them have the tiniest of sprouts on them them.

Well what should I do with them? I know I won't get a harvest this year but can I overwinter them for an early spring harvest?

While I'm at it what about planting onion seed for next year. I know it's late but I live on the edge.

Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think the onion seeds should work, get started now and over winter. I'm definitely no expert on potatoes, but I never heard of being able to overwinter potato plants. I don't think I was the one who suggested "forgetting about them" :) ! Personally, I'd eat the potatoes and start with new ones in the spring!

But I'd be glad to hear from others with more potato experience!

nes
Green Thumb

Why don't you try it with a couple and tell us what happens?? :D

I'd bet they'd just stop growing & start again in the spring.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I doubt anything of value will occur; I suspect you will just feed voles or some such. Plus leaving taters in the ground gives the blights a place to overwinter; best to get your ground as potato-free as possible for next season...

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure so I guess I will just wait for next year.

applestar
Mod

gixxerific, you seem to have forgotten your own post:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89666#89666
Weren't you going to try this?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:gixxerific, you seem to have forgotten your own post:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89666#89666
Weren't you going to try this?
Alrighty than, I guess I'm pretty damn smart for being an idiot. :lol: I did forget I have so much going on in my life.

I would have to assume that these spuds will be no good next year right? So what the hell I will give it a go. I do stupid things all the time just to see what will happen. But it's those stupid things that bring wisdom.

Thanks Apple for bringing what I brought to someone's attention back to my attention, or something like that. :D

(hell I went to Lowes Sunday to try and get a hell of a deal on some of their veggies they had on Saturday, knowing they would be getting rid of them. When I went they had thrown them all away sometime in between. I even went out back to raid the dumpster but it is gated up. :( 8) )

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”