Tinybu88les8

Potting peppers?

So I have 3 bell pepper plants, 1 jalapeno, and 1 habanero planted in my garden. Lately Ive been hearing that peppers (as well as some other plants) produce better the following year... I always assumed that these plants died off at the end of the season... but I guess they don't? What I would like to know is... Can I put them in pots to keep on my patio or would I be better off just starting over with new plants next year and plant them directly into pots rather than transferring them? (I know this CAN kill the plant or it will never produce the same). My garden is 9x12 so I'm limited on space. My bells have produced but not a whole lot. Id love to keep them around and see how they do next year. Any ideas?

Earl K
Green Thumb

Not sure how they would last after transplant but do know most peppers will do well in containers.I have 2 anehiem,1 serrano,1 jalepeno,1 giant marconi and all have been producing like crazy for 6 months.They are in 5 gal. buckets with holes in the bottom for drainage but are doing well.Good luck and hope you get more answers :)

crobi13

I also thought that a pepper plant would die in the winter. I have 3 pepper plants, a Serrano, a Jalepeno and a Green Bell. The Jalepeno did fairly well this year, the Serrano did great but the Bell did nothing. The thought that I can keep them in the ground for more than one season is exciting. :o

Can anyone tell me how to put them to bed for the winter? Also, are there any ammendments that I should put in the soil to to encourage more peppers next season?

Thanks!

Diane
Green Thumb

My potted bell peppers did the best. They are in half compost and half name brand potting soil.
When their leaves looked light green I sprayed them with epsom salt and water. That really helped green them up.
Fertilized each week and gave them more water than I had earlier in the season.
When nothing was happening I figured, take a chance, and it worked.

In my raised bed I used humus, chicken manure and garden soil along with compost. For next year I'll add more compost and switch to potting soil to loosen up my clay soil.

I want carrots next year. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”