brekehan

When to transplant cucumber seedlings?

The cucumber seeds I planted are now 4" high and just starting thier 3rd leaf, the 1st true leaf. Is it time to take them out of the seedling cells and into a small container? Or should I wait some more?

Also, they seem rather floppy. Will they be ok with dirt surrounding them or will they get diseases if the leaves touch the soil?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I know down there in Austin TX you are gardening in a completely different climate than I am, but still it seems a little late to be setting cucumbers out. Is it really going to stay warm there for another 2 months to 10 weeks? (lucky you!)

First true leaf is a good time to get them out of the little cell into a bigger pot, but not yet into the ground. Hopefully before putting in ground they will perk up a bit. Are they getting plenty of light? But they will be ok if leaves touch the ground.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It is my experience that cukes do best just planted from seed right where they will grow in the garden. They do not like their roots disturbed and always suffer from transplant shock. By the time they recover, the seed planted right where it will grow is ahead of the transplants. You can try this for a demo, since you already have the plants. Plant your plants in the garden and plant some seed in the garden the same day. Observe.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”